Chris

Journalist
South African fibre price war

South African broadband users are enjoying big price cuts and free speed upgrades on fibre-to-the-home products with fibre network operators and ISPs fighting for market share.

The fibre price war was started by Openserve when it upgraded speeds and cut prices on its fibre products in March.

Openserve said the speed upgrades came at no additional cost to ISP partners as an incentive to enable them to easily upgrade their customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

furpile

Expert Member
These ISP's do not even offer 10 Mbps lines anymore, meanwhile Vodacom still charges R649 for a 10/5 Mbps line. Can get a 25 or 50 Mbps line for that price on these other networks. Hopefully Vodacom catches up someday.

upup

Executive Member
I don't see Evotel on that list, there prices are still high.

MEG101

And Yet Vumatel is still killing everyone with their Prices. #DownwithVUmatel
Yup, they are as silent as a mouse in slippers...they will never ever reduce prices...Luckily Herotel is busy rollout out their network. Will get the 50mbps package for R499.00 as soon as it is available. #DownwithVUmatel

Bobbin

Executive Member
I was forced to go with Vumatel via Afrihost as the OpenServe fibre to my house is FUBAR, something about construction damaging and blocking the route and their tech gave up trying to pull the fibre to my house.

The previous home owners broke the Fibre CPE clips and used glue/tape. Eventually it fell off the wall one evening, pulling the fibre with it and snapping the cable. I thought FFS, I will be without Internet for at least a week now.

Contacted Afrihost at 7pm. Vumatel tech was at my house the next morning at 9am.

I was very impressed.

I wonder if I would have had the same experience with OpenServe? Still not sure if it justifies those high Vumatel prices either way though.

Swa

Honorary Master
It will only be a war once the networks come to the party.

koeks525

Expert Member
I am really hoping Octotel also revises its pricing or line speeds... 30mbpsfor R597 vs the R767 a month I am paying now :(

ChezlinF

Vox not on this list....just called them and they had no answers for me as too matching speed packages or reducing my monthly subscription...cant event get these reduced prices from Webafrica as I have Vumatel

MEG101

I think people just need to accept that Vumatel won't be reducing their prices until there is substantial competition in the areas that they service with their networks.
Yes, that is a fact the we must accept...Herotel is busy building network in my area, and Frogfoot also showed interest. I will either go for Herotel or Frogfoot and never touch Vuma with a ten foon pole

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
In saying what I said above, and yes I would like a price reduction as much as the next person, I am not unhappy with Vumatel and my ISPs pricing for the quality of service I get.

G.A.S

This is about as close to 'naked ADSL' as we ever wanted (just faster) :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Vuma decided the opposite direction and increased prices

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Ok, now this war...I am with Vumatel.

How do I get Openserve to supply aerial fibre? Telkom already has copper to my home.

Let me call openserve and check.