South African hospitals prepare for surge in Omicron admissions

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

South African hospitals are bracing for a surge in admissions as the new omicron variant drives a sharp rise in coronavirus infections and as more evidence emerges about the severity of the illness caused by the strain.

The seven-day moving average of daily new cases in the country rose to 10,055 last week, from less than 300 three weeks earlier.

Hospitalizations also picked up but remain relatively low, with admissions standing at 3,268 on Sunday. Whether there will be a deluge of new patients is the biggest question

[Bloomberg]

NoLuck Chuck

How corruption has affected SA hospital preparations since 2020. Still ongoing.

However, this opening up of funds led instead to an orgy of corruption, which in August was described by the WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus as “tantamount to murder”.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

South African hospitals are bracing for a surge in admissions as the new omicron variant drives a sharp rise in coronavirus infections and as more evidence emerges about the severity of the illness caused by the strain.

The seven-day moving average of daily new cases in the country rose to 10,055 last week, from less than 300 three weeks earlier.

Hospitalizations also picked up but remain relatively low, with admissions standing at 3,268 on Sunday. Whether there will be a deluge of new patients is the biggest question

[Bloomberg]
Are you having some sort of crisis or internal conflict at the office?

Low levels of hospital admissions relative to the titanic number of new Covid–19 cases in Gauteng is giving some experts hope that the omicron variant could signal the end of the pandemic, reports Rapport.

So, I ask you, with tears in my eyes, are the hospitals empty or filling up? Schrodinger's covid patients?

vatie

It is good to be prepared, but there are some really encouraging signs that a flood of patients may not happen with this variant. Really could be the end of the pandemic if these encouraging signs persist.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Same way as when the Spanish Flu died out after a few variants

Hate wearing this bloody mask at work all day everyday, when I get home I throw it on the bed, now I know how women feel getting home after work and throwing their bra off

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Could be due to it being a weekend (check 7 days prior), but let's hope deaths are low this time around.
Yup
Im monitoring the numbers every day on wiki to see the 'death' rate climb and so far it is looking good.

Not that I believe in stats on this stupid virus, I just find it interesting to read ea day

rvZA

Executive Member
I now question all statistics and official government news in relation to this virus -

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

[Bloomberg]
By blaming lack of skills on alcohol and / or blaming lack of beds on alcohol?

We are not prepared and hasn't been for years go try and bs talk someone else well at least not me.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I now question all statistics and official government news in relation to this virus -

"only now"? lol?

RanzB

Honorary Master
It is good to be prepared, but there are some really encouraging signs that a flood of patients may not happen with this variant. Really could be the end of the pandemic if these encouraging signs persist.

Have had quite a few people I know test positive but the symptoms have been much milder than 2020 or earlier this year.

vatie

Have had quite a few people I know test positive but the symptoms have been much milder than 2020 or earlier this year.
Hearing similar things but also know somebody that seems to be struggling a bit, he has not needed a hospital but off sick for longer than a week doesn't really fit my definition of "mild". He is unvaccinated and to my knowledge hasn't been previously infected either. So perhaps it is still a bit of a rough time for the completely naive population (which is shrinking). Entirely possible that all these reports of mild cases are because of the protective effect of the 3 previous waves and now also vaccinations.

epah

Expert Member
giphy.gif

Mekon

Expert Member

South African hospitals prepare for surge in Omicron admissions​

But will they the sale of dop and open toe thongs again or not:unsure: