South African Internet scam warning – Teacher loses R4 million

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

A South African teacher is fighting back after losing R4 million in an Internet scam, which started in June with an article about president Cyril Ramaphosa trying to cover up something.

A Netwerk24 report explained that to read this article, Marile Coetzee from Thabazimbi was asked to provide her name, mobile number and email address to read this article.

system32

Expert Member
A Netwerk24 report explained that to read this article, Marile Coetzee from Thabazimbi was asked to provide her name, mobile number and email address to read this article.
Wording is a bit confusing.
Did Marile provide her details to Netwerk24?
1540705541445.png
Did netwerk24 sell her details to Bulgaria scammers?
Or is the myBB article based on netwerk24 article, and we should provide our details to netwerk24 to read the original article?

I wonder how long it will take for the Bulgarians to contact me if I register?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wording is a bit confusing.
Did Marile provide her details to Netwerk24?
View attachment 569927
Did netwerk24 sell her details to Bulgaria scammers?
Or is the myBB article based on netwerk24 article, and we should provide our details to netwerk24 to read the original article?

I wonder how long it will take for the Bulgarians to contact me if I register?
It is a bit confusing. But I think she tried to read some type of fake news website that asked her to register.

3WA

Executive Member
And this is why SA will stay a ****hole...
If we had functional law enforcement, would you really want them to invest resources into this investigation? Surely the perpertrator took steps to cover their tracks (fake FICA/RICA). I would rather they focused on serious crime instead of someone who gives money away.

These scams exist everywhere. Fighting them requires education of investors, not so much law enforcement.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
If we had functional law enforcement, would you really want them to invest resources into this investigation? Surely the perpertrator took steps to cover their tracks (fake FICA/RICA). I would rather they focused on serious crime instead of someone who gives money away.

These scams exist everywhere. Fighting them requires education of investors, not so much law enforcement.
If we had a functional one, then they would have investigated it. Or else we should just let all white collar and financial criminals do what they want?

3WA

Executive Member
If we had a functional one, then they would have investigated it. Or else we should just let all white collar and financial criminals do what they want?
Financial crime at Steinhof, SoE's, KPMG etc. is in a different league to this. That's where law enforcement should focus.

Scams that target gullible individuals are a pain to investigate. These attacks can originate anywhere in the world, and they can be for small amounts. Is it worth the Hawks dropping hundreds of thousands of taxpayer money into an investigation, only to find the money is in eastern Europe? Then involve interpol?

Granted, this example is for a large amount, but in most cases the sort of person who falls for this scam doesn't have millions to invest.

Daruk

Honorary Master

A South African teacher is fighting back after losing R4 million in an Internet scam, which started in June with an article about president Cyril Ramaphosa trying to cover up something.

A pity she didn’t just enter false info.

Full article from Netwerk24 can be read without handing out any personal info.