South African mining sector to fight coronavirus outbreak

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South African mining sector to fight coronavirus outbreak

Platinum and gold mines in South Africa, which together make up the world’s biggest precious metals industry, are gearing up to try and minimize a local outbreak of the coronavirus that could disrupt operations where hundreds of thousands of people work in close proximity.

Companies including Anglo American Platinum Ltd. and Sibanye Stillwater Ltd. are preparing a range of measures, from checking the temperature of workers before they enter narrow elevators to descend up to 2.4 miles underground to encouraging employees to find out their HIV status. [Bloomberg]

HunterNW

Honorary Master
Great. We don't even have toilet paper - Let's see how you pull this off.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Great. We don't even have toilet paper - Let's see how you pull this off.
This should be easy enough...

Companies including Anglo American Platinum Ltd. and Sibanye Stillwater Ltd. are preparing a range of measures, from checking the temperature of workers before they enter narrow elevators to descend up to 2.4 miles underground to encouraging employees to find out their HIV status. [Bloomberg]

km2

Expert Member
I mean platinum and gold is great and all but it's coal that worries me. You lose a few mines that are directly supplying Eskom power plants and watch the loadshedding stages ramp up very hard very fast.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Just keep them away from upper management. Those are currently the fsckers who're infected.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Headline news, of the wrong kind:
Operations at the world's deepest gold mine, in South Africa, have been halted after 164 cases of coronavirus were detected there.

The Mponeng mine, like all others in the country, resumed operations last month after being closed in March as part of a national lockdown.

It had been operating at 50% capacity but some workers have reportedly raised concerns about their safety.

Most of those who tested positive were not showing any symptoms.
Electronic tracking is used in case miners go missing, and this system was "useful in quickly locating primary, or close contacts" of those who tested positive, the owners said.

Operations at the mine have been "temporarily halted" to complete contact tracing and "sanitize the workplace", AngloGold Ashanti said in a statement.

Last edited: