South African presidents' qualifications: 1994 to 2018

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I recall reading some nonsense that went along the lines of ''how can you study when you are struggling?''.

Basically, struggle credentials trump qualifications and actually knowing what you are and should be doing.

Like the Zanu-PF, the ANC for the longest time placed a premium on being a stalwart and somebody that was blowing up telephone poles, regardless of the fact that you can't count past potato.

SilverCode

Mandela: 27 years in prison
Mbeki: 28 years in exile
Motlanthe: 8 years in prison
Zuma: 10 years in prison, ~10 years in exile
CR: 1.5 years in prison
Lets hope that CR and the NPA can help Zuma up those qualification numbers.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Yeah. Nothing like a "learned" president that thinks beetroot is a treatment for HIV.
And yet we hear virtually nothing about about HIV and AIDS nowadays.

Today it's all about is about wide scale corruption, mismanagement, wastage, incompetence - I could go on and on. Not to mention the economic shythole we find ourselves it. Hardly a whisper about this during Mbeki's time.

I'd take Mbeki anytime even with his AIDS policies.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
And yet we hear virtually nothing about about HIV and AIDS nowadays.

Today it's all about is about wide scale corruption, mismanagement, wastage, incompetence - I could go on and on. Not to mention the economic shythole we find ourselves it. Hardly a whisper about this during Mbeki's time.

I'd take Mbeki anytime even with his AIDS policies.
So he was better because instead of stealing, he basically handed out death sentences to those infected with HIV/AIDS?

And P.S. just because corruption wasn't as prominently advertised during his time, does not for a second mean it wasn't a serious problem.