South African pricing for the new iPad Pro and iMac revealed

Jase

Executive Member
Pricing is a quite high for a fixed machine.. keep in mind that the entry level notebook/air is about that or less. So for offices yes.. home users.. i have doubts but this has been an issue since notebooks became powerful enough to challenge the idea of work bench not being mobile.

I'd say other than a nice machine for reception staff to look funky.. i don't see people buying this even for kids >12. use case vs cost.. when u have an existing screen and a Apple Mini is about R12-15k (i.e. if u have the peripherals .. i.e. keyboard, mouse, screen).
I tend to agree although that display is quite impressive (4.5k)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Perhaps try one. The only downside I've found to the M1 mac is the lack of x86 virtualisation guests.
I wonder if they will fix this in a future patch to macOS or if the virtualisation software will/can get patched to support this.

I briefly tried getting UTM to work on my M1 MBA but was running into issues with the Win10 ARM build.

Maybe I'll give it another bash this weekend

genetic

Honorary Master
That's your opinion. Mine is different. I have a M1 MacBook Pro supplied by work. I would gladly pay The 25k asking price for it as it has improved my workflow and productivity a lot. Also, I can't do my work on a non Mac machine; but that's not really the point.
This. Just bought myself the 16GB M1 MacBook Pro, and it cuts through 6K Blackmagic RAW footage like a hot knife through butter. Really impressive little machine.

Priapus

Executive Member
This. Just bought myself the 16GB M1 MacBook Pro, and it cuts through 6K Blackmagic RAW footage like a hot knife through butter. Really impressive little machine.

Have the same machine.

For the haters in real world terms, this is what the new "Overpriced garbage" machine has done for me:

Old machine: Intel MBP, 16GB Ram, Core i7 - 2019 model IIRC.
New machine: 2020 M1 MBP - 16GB ram

I compile a large project multiple times a day for my development work. Compiling it on the above machines means the following for me:

Old MBP: ± 25 Mins, each time. On top of that the whole machine grinds to a halt just about, fans go nuts.
New M1 MBP: ± 4mins. Fans don't even kick in and machine remains responsive.

So,, yes, I will gladly pay the asking price for the "overpriced garbage" every time.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Apple really has raised the bar with the M1 chips. I am excited to see what their next iteration will bring to the table, once the technology has matured a bit.

prOd

Expert Member
Have the same machine.

For the haters in real world terms, this is what the new "Overpriced garbage" machine has done for me:

Old machine: Intel MBP, 16GB Ram, Core i7 - 2019 model IIRC.
New machine: 2020 M1 MBP - 16GB ram

I compile a large project multiple times a day for my development work. Compiling it on the above machines means the following for me:

Old MBP: ± 25 Mins, each time. On top of that the whole machine grinds to a halt just about, fans go nuts.
New M1 MBP: ± 4mins. Fans don't even kick in and machine remains responsive.

So,, yes, I will gladly pay the asking price for the "overpriced garbage" every time.

Out of all the reasons to poke fun at Apple, their SOCs are really not one of them. These things are awesome

Priapus

Executive Member
Out of all the reasons to poke fun at Apple, their SOCs are really not one of them. These things are awesome

Oh but the haters try very hard to discredit their SOCs. It's just silly.

The Darkness

Expert Member
the new M1 machines are insane. the people carrying on about the cost of this tech needs to go and get a real job. most people who buy these macs are pros using them for their jobs. go play games with your pc

prOd

Expert Member
What do you mean, exactly?
I thought M1 Macs had Rosetta 2?

Think he means running a virtual machine on your Mac with, for ex. Windows 10 x86, installed.

You can however run Parallels with W10 Arm installed, and it works pretty good afaik

Vorastra

Executive Member
Think he means running a virtual machine on your Mac with, for ex. Windows 10 x86, installed.

You can however run Parallels with W10 Arm installed, and it works pretty good afaik
I was gonna say, Parallels apparently runs extremely well.

quovadis

Executive Member
Can literally any of Adobe's full-fat MacOS programs run on iPad OS?
Creative Cloud is available for iPad albeit not as feature-rich but with the M1 processor being added I imagine there's pretty much nothing stopping IPAD OS running MacOS apps in the future as long as they're native apps.

s0lar

Expert Member
Damn as a daily Mac driver and fanboy no x86 hypervisor is a show stopper for my daily workflow. Hopefully vagrant and in turn virtualbox come to the party. I needs my local monolithic Linux on occasion. :confused:

Fjorko

Expert Member
Old joke. Nobody does this anymore and I don't think anybody has ever camped out in front of an iStore.

I also don't hang around in Windows / Linux / Samsung / OneNote / Xaomi / <insert your preferred brand or OS here> threads and scream "fanboy!" every time something new comes out.
OK buddy. Happy camping!