South African pricing for the new iPad Pro and iMac revealed

krycor

Honorary Master
I tend to agree although that display is quite impressive (4.5k)

When they bring out the bigger version I reckon it will garner interest for display but again.. but it’s a tough one competing with mobility.

Ps. I’m not a fan of the chin

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Double what it costs in the US.

Do you know what "double" means?

krycor

Honorary Master
It does however you're stuck with ARM virtual machines. I do plenty of work with x86 images from various OS's for customers so it's the only downside for now.

Kinda why I haven’t purchased one yet, wife has for her work. I’m holding out till virtualization (well machine emulation) support via VMware comes. I reckon M2 is on the way end of year which, if with arm v9, will see another performance bump.

Not all software is optimized for it also so the o/s emulated software products crash from time to time.. but she says still worth it for her stuff due to speed exporting images and vid stuff.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is South Africa, double is a very lose term and you know it.
Really? Just how loosely do you define double? Do you know how to work out a percentage difference?

Apple M1 Chip, 7-core GPU, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM (1USD = R14.49)
SA price including VAT: R25,999 ($1793.23)
US price excluding any sales tax: $1,299.00 (R18833.59)

genetic

Honorary Master
This is South Africa, double is a very lose term and you know it.

No, you clearly failed maths in high school... actually, it's basic multiplication - so you failed maths in primary school too.

genetic

Honorary Master
Have the same machine.

For the haters in real world terms, this is what the new "Overpriced garbage" machine has done for me:

Old machine: Intel MBP, 16GB Ram, Core i7 - 2019 model IIRC.
New machine: 2020 M1 MBP - 16GB ram

I compile a large project multiple times a day for my development work. Compiling it on the above machines means the following for me:

Old MBP: ± 25 Mins, each time. On top of that the whole machine grinds to a halt just about, fans go nuts.
New M1 MBP: ± 4mins. Fans don't even kick in and machine remains responsive.

So,, yes, I will gladly pay the asking price for the "overpriced garbage" every time.

Well my R56K 2018 2.9GHz 6-core i7 MBP with 32GB of RAM took 27 minutes to convert a 12 minute sequence of 6K footage of Blackmagic RAW to ProRes 422, whilst my brand new R33K M1 MBP with half the RAM at 16GB does the same task in just over 8 min.

That's revolutionary in my eyes. I downgraded specs for faster performance at almost half the price.

46Female

Expert Member
I think foreigners think apple is cheaper in this country but its not.

Corelli

Expert Member
I would rather get a mac mini and a decent monitor.

The prices are madness.

And if it breaks, they will tell you, just buy another one, as they can never actually fix one.

Priapus

Executive Member
Well my R56K 2018 2.9GHz 6-core i7 MBP with 32GB of RAM took 27 minutes to convert a 12 minute sequence of 6K footage of Blackmagic RAW to ProRes 422, whilst my brand new R33K M1 MBP with half the RAM at 16GB does the same task in just over 8 min.

That's revolutionary in my eyes. I downgraded specs for faster performance at almost half the price.

That's amazing. :cool: - But let's remind ourselves about these "overpriced garbage" machine are "not worth it" and ":double the price" shall we?:ROFL:

Some people love to hate Apple; even when the facts are not on their side. Like basic maths.... not so @Thor ?