South African society at risk if lockdown is extended past five weeks

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South African society at risk if lockdown is extended past five weeks

It’s not only the economy at stake. South African society is also at risk if the government extends a five-week lockdown without allowing more industries to get back to work.

That’s the view of Investec Group Chief Executive Officer Fani Titi and the head of the company’s South African banking unit, Richard Wainwright, who is also the chairman of local industry body, the Banking Association South Africa.

[Bloomberg]

Lupus

Honorary Master
If only government did spend billions upon billions bailing out FAILED government companies *cough* Eskom, SAA, etc... Then there would have been plenty left to invest in things that do matter, like Healthcare and Education.
Actually they've invested a lot into education, scary amount of it though. But it's just been squandered.

Zukat

Expert Member
Extend for what? I understand if we were 1 month away from finding the cure, but the only 2 outcomes of this lockdown for an average citizen are that you will get sick a month later and not be getting any sick leave pay as you don't have a job any longer.

Gozado

Lockdown and isolation are not about waiting until the cure is found. They are about flattening the curve.

krycor

Honorary Master
Problem is that in a non-Asian country where “civil duty” is not a term people really understand and believe their rights tump that of others (most western countries) the risk of civil disobedience is exceptionally high.

I seriously doubt SA can keep lockdown in current form going beyond this month without a major flare up.

So prepare masks and keep socially distancing despite everyone else.. this is likely to only get worse as we head into winter. Already here over the last 2 weeks mornings have been getting colder..

Mfza

Problem is that in a non-Asian country where “civil duty” is not a term people really understand and believe their rights tump that of others (most western countries) the risk of civil disobedience is exceptionally high.

I seriously doubt SA can keep lockdown in current form going beyond this month without a major flare up.

So prepare masks and keep socially distancing despite everyone else.. this is likely to only get worse as we head into winter. Already here over the last 2 weeks mornings have been getting colder..
The Chinese aren't doing their patriotic Civil duty. The CCP do what they desire, regardless of how they achieve it.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
My dad's company is considering business rescue.

My sister-in-law has been told she'll see a 25% decrease in her salary and others are being retrenched.

My brother may potentially see a salary reduction.

My company has told me retrenchments are not being considered. Yet.

This lockdown simply cannot continue. I said it before this got here; most of us will catch it. That's the reality. Government has had more than enough time to learn from hard hit countries and make preparations for the fallout. What will be will be but we cannot continue with a lockdown.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That is grim. In my case we did not get any increase or bonus (usually comes at the end of March) but at least we all still have our jobs and are getting paid. I count myself lucky on that front.

I count each and every citizen unlucky for being under this failed government of ours.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
The Chinese aren't doing their patriotic Civil duty. The CCP do what they desire, regardless of how they achieve it.
The ccp doesn't represent all of asia, there are other countries like japan and south korea that have a population that understands the public and personal hygiene practices required.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
My dad's company is considering business rescue.

My sister-in-law has been told she'll see a 25% decrease in her salary and others are being retrenched.

My brother may potentially see a salary reduction.

My company has told me retrenchments are not being considered. Yet.

This lockdown simply cannot continue. I said it before this got here; most of us will catch it. That's the reality. Government has had more than enough time to learn from hard hit countries and make preparations for the fallout. What will be will be but we cannot continue with a lockdown.
The choices are simple.
Get fcked by Corona or get fcked by the economic meltdown.

I'm young and healthy. I'll take my chances with Corona.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Job losses and pay cuts is only a consideration for 1 month of lockdown.

All the people getting pay cuts will end up losing their job entirely if this ret@rded lockdown gets extended again and again.

A company can only carry a reduce salary for so long while not actually earning anything.