South African software developer salaries ranked best in the world

Hamster

Resident Rodent
And does this purchasing power take into account the power to purchase healthcare and education?

freddster

Expert Member
Will be interesting to see the number of permanent to contractors. Contractors earn more than permanent and I don't know too many permanent devs.

skimread

Honorary Master
Comparing developers by how many burgers you can buy between countries doesn't make sense. Eating burgers isn't good for work productivity. How about comparing percentage of countries' companies that offer free healthy food onsite instead.

Better measure would be to compare how much Macbook laptops cost between countries. Taking into account theft in this country it worsens the statistic as insurance costs so much more and laptop theft from houses and cars is commonplace which insurance often don't pay for. I wouldn't be surprised is South Africa is on the polar opposite side regarding these two Max indexes.

You can't code without hardware but you can code without eating burgers all day.

cguy

Executive Member
I think the mean income for SA is seriously out of whack - 700k???(stack overflow members must represent the upper percentiles). As mentioned, taxation isn't being accounted for (many countries have higher peaks than SA, but these bands are reached only with very high incomes). If everything in the US was 3x more, this comparison would make more sense, but it isn't. The author of these articles should really be more critical.

freddster

Expert Member
I think the mean income for SA is seriously out of whack - 700k???(stack overflow members must represent the upper percentiles). As mentioned, taxation isn't being accounted for (many countries have higher peaks than SA, but these bands are reached only with very high incomes). If everything in the US was 3x more, this comparison would make more sense, but it isn't. The author of these articles should really be more critical.

Tax in SA is HIGH, then in addition to tax we have to pay for private healthcare, private security, private education, we have one of the most expensive fuel prices, mostly taxed... most wastage by goverment, the biggest cabinet in the world(consisting of morons)

semaphore

Honorary Master

Its MyBB their math skills blow.

wentworth65

We pay our cheapest developers R650 p/h and our most senior gets R1500 p/h. I can believe that this is definitely true. Sad part is that sometimes the quality is not related to the age of the person. This is something that very few people realise.

cguy

Executive Member
Tax in SA is HIGH, then in addition to tax we have to pay for private healthcare, private security, private education, we have one of the most expensive fuel prices, mostly taxed... most wastage by goverment, the biggest cabinet in the world(consisting of morons)

I'm not sure if you're agreeing and adding more info or disagreeing to something you misread, but my point was that for most, SA taxation is very high relative to the rest of the world.

cguy

Executive Member
We pay our cheapest developers R650 p/h and our most senior gets R1500 p/h. I can believe that this is definitely true. Sad part is that sometimes the quality is not related to the age of the person. This is something that very few people realise.

You pay your cheapest developers 1.35m/year?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

Language/s being used?

Sodan

Expert Member

Who is "we" and where do I sign up?