South African tax protest planned

rpm

Admin
Staff member
South African tax protest planned

The Solidarity NetWork announced that it would kick-off a comprehensive and lawful tax protest campaign next week.

This South African tax protest includes at least six legal actions against state enterprises and tax plunderers.

The actions include, among others, an application for business rescue of SAA. According to Solidarity, the SAA case would be the most significant tax case South Africa has ever seen.

Thor

Honorary Master
Can someone explain what this means, sounds like a class action on behalf of tax payers or is this actual companies (none listed in the article.) that won't be paying tax?

Swa

Honorary Master
Good but all SEOs are bankrupt and should be under business rescue. Can someone tell me if this can eventually force a headcount reduction even among ANC and union protests? :evilsmiley:

Can someone explain what this means, sounds like a class action on behalf of tax payers or is this actual companies (none listed in the article.) that won't be paying tax?
Read the article.

Genisys

Executive Member
Good but all SEOs are bankrupt and should be under business rescue. Can someone tell me if this can eventually force a headcount reduction even among ANC and union protests? :evilsmiley:

Read the article.
Said like someone who doesn't know how many SEO's there are, just assuming that the ones in the news is the only ones that exists.

Milano

Honorary Master
I can't but maybe someone can post without using the word someone?

Swa

Honorary Master
Said like someone who doesn't know how many SEO's there are, just assuming that the ones in the news is the only ones that exists.
Can you name any significant number of true SEOs that are truly successful? Eskom, SAPO, SAA, Denel, Sentech, Infraco are all in trouble in some way or have been in the past. I've left out Sanral and the ones that are supposed to be tax payer funded. Doesn't mean they aren't mismanaged as well.

Genisys

Executive Member
Can you name any significant number of true SEOs that are truly successful? Eskom, SAPO, SAA, Denel, Sentech, Infraco are all in trouble in some way or have been in the past. I've left out Sanral and the ones that are supposed to be tax payer funded. Doesn't mean they aren't mismanaged as well.
ACSA pops to mind, SAWS, perhaps SARB (the reserve bank) as well. SARS and Telkom also seem to be doing well. You are complaining about a wolf without knowing what the wolf looks like.

Swa

Honorary Master
ACSA pops to mind, SAWS, perhaps SARB (the reserve bank) as well. SARS and Telkom also seem to be doing well. You are complaining about a wolf without knowing what the wolf looks like.
The Reserve Bank is privately owned. SARS is questionable with the mismanagement that's happening there and technically it can't go bankrupt so we'll never get a true picture. Telkom is a public company. Why I was specific about true SEOs and ones that aren't tax payer funded knowing the answers you will try to come up with. Was going to edit my post saying that mining might be doing okay but why bother when arguing with people like this.

Genisys

Executive Member
The Reserve Bank is privately owned. SARS is questionable with the mismanagement that's happening there and technically it can't go bankrupt so we'll never get a true picture. Telkom is a public company. Why I was specific about true SEOs and ones that aren't tax payer funded knowing the answers you will try to come up with. Was going to edit my post saying that mining might be doing okay but why bother when arguing with people like this.
You said all SEO's are bankrupt and should be put under business rescue, don't change the topic now. Doesn't matter if SARS can't go bankrupt, it isn't bankrupt so your point is pointless just like this entire argument.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The only "tax protest" worthy of the name is a protest that involves actually withholding tax payments and that kicks the government in the fiscal balls. This is the only protest that government would actually care about. Anything else is just bluster and hot air.

Swa

Honorary Master
You said all SEO's are bankrupt and should be put under business rescue, don't change the topic now. Doesn't matter if SARS can't go bankrupt, it isn't bankrupt so your point is pointless just like this entire argument.
And you're just being you as always. You're the one who ignored what I actually said. I'm done with you.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Here is the full statement:

Solidarity shakes a tax fist

The Solidarity NetWork announced that it would kick-off a comprehensive and lawful tax protest campaign next week. This protest includes at least six legal actions against state enterprises and tax plunderers. The actions include, among others, an application for business rescue of SAA. According to Solidarity, the SAA case would be the most significant tax case in South Africa as yet.

“It is time that taxpayers turn to active and lawful tax protest. South Africa must discover the power of tax activism. We’ve already had a taste of it with the E-toll protest. Tax protest does not have to include the withholding of tax. Taxpayers can unite across traditional barriers, making use of legal instruments to call the state and tax plunderers to account,” Solidarity Chief Operating Officer, Dr Dirk Hermann, said.

Solidarity will this week still serve urgent court papers on the struggling arms manufacturer Denel to force it to pay the unemployment insurance and tax contributions it had deducted from employees to where it is due. Solidarity also started a process in terms of section 165 of the Companies Act to have mismanagement and corruption perpetrated by former Denel directors investigated with a view to their possible prosecution.

A similar section 165 process will be followed in collaboration with Sakeliga in respect of Eskom. This may have major implications for former Eskom directors such as Brian Molefe. Similar applications against other directors at other state-owned enterprises may follow.

Solidarity will also request advocate Gerrie Nel of AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit to institute a private prosecution process against Molefe. This comes after the National Prosecuting Authority has not yet taken any steps against Molefe following Solidarity’s fraud charges against him. Solidarity and Molefe will also soon meet in the Constitutional Court about monies owed to Solidarity after the court had found in favour of Solidarity that Molefe had enriched him unlawfully from Eskom’s Pension Fund. Solidarity also obtained an order as to costs against Hlaudi Motsoeneng, former SABC COO, after a court ruling in favour of the SABC 8. The fight against Motsoeneng was taken to the Constitutional Court and excepting R20 000, all Solidarity’s money was repaid by Motsoeneng.

The biggest case will be an application of business rescue against SAA and the Minister of Public Enterprises, Pravin Gordhan. Approximately one year ago, Solidarity wanted to bring the same case against SAA, but SAA’s former CEO, Vuyani Jarana, made several promises to Solidarity.

“However, these promises have not been met and Jarana has left. We must protect sustainable work at SAA. We saw at Denel what happens to employees if the wait on a business rescue application is too long.

This will be the first time that a business rescue application is brought against a state enterprise. This is one of the most drastic actions taxpayers are taking to protect their tax money. The work of our members and taxpayers’ money in SAA is too valuable to allow the airline to crash down,” said Hermann.

Solidarity plans to mobilise thousands of taxpayers to get involved with the tax protest and to collect millions of Rands through crowd funding. A special webpage was created on www.solidariteit.co.za.

According to Hermann, taxpayers underestimate their power. The state is not working with its own money, but with the money of taxpayers. Elections aren’t the only way the state can be held accountable. There are several legal instruments that can be utilised. It is not disloyal to utilise legal instruments for accountability. In fact, it is loyal to taxpayers and ordinary South Africans, rich and poor, black and white who expects good infrastructure and services from the state, and who are entitled to it.

More information about the various cases will be revealed in the next month.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Lol 1 out of 300 and you want to jump up and down like you won something.

Reactions: Swa

wizardofid

Executive Member
And you're just being you as always. You're the one who ignored what I actually said. I'm done with you.
Well, we are actually done with you as well and have been for a while, you can't seem to get the message.I actually posted about the list, not too long ago, if I remember correctly, you were quite vocal there as well till some one put you in your place.(Polite way of saying you got pwned like the little girl you are.)I wonder who that was,......oh now I remember it was me.

https://www.gov.za/about-government/contact-directory/soe-s

The Reserve Bank is privately owned. How smart are you, you are aware that ACSA and a number of entities like SARB even the damn post office is run as a private company.In some cases, the government has majority share, or enough shares for voting power, or laws that dictate things, like in the case of the reserve bank, the currency and bank act.

SARB always had private share holders since the 1920's, in particular quite a few foreign investors, which is why there has been calls to nationalize the enterprise in recent times.SA government is still the puppet masters, regardless of it being privately owned or not.

In fact:

The Governor, and Deputy governors are appointed for five-year terms by the SA president in consultation with the Minster of finance . Four of the directors are also appointed by the President for terms of three years.
Being privately owned doesn't count for squat in case of a State enterprise, if the majority share holder is the government or has direct intervention regardless of ownership.Please, please, please, think before you ink.....

Last edited:

Mista_Mobsta

I am loving the manner in which Solidarity is approaching the tax protest. They understand how important and impartial our courts are and are pressuring our moronic government into coughing up the dough and doing the NPA's job to ensure these trough feeding slugs are taken to task.

Good Job!

DreamKing

Executive Member
if they can't mobilize the big companies to withhold the VAT / PAYE first, I don't think the campaign will success.

because no one will follow. :(

EasyComs

if they can't mobilize the big companies to withhold the VAT / PAYE first, I don't think the campaign will success.

because no one will follow. :(
Agreed. Withholding funds when they are being wasted is the only way and has to be the taxpayers right. Government seems ignorant of how to manage budgets and operate withing the approved budget limits.

krycor

Honorary Master
So while the fight against corruption is good.. i think this is dumb. Don't get me wrong.. its good to hold gov to account but doing so after the horse has bolted has a lesser impact.

So while most people **think** this is gonna make a huge difference the brutal reality is that this won't change a thing as things are already afoot. So the margin of 'success' for this is what ? people going to jail ? this takes time and already in process whether you chose to believe it or not.. so nope. Will it reduce gov involvement in SoEs.. nope. So what exactly are they gonna claim has victory ? Moodys downgrading us? It's already happening.. but good luck convincing the masses this wasn't a result and so yah.. to me.. cool action but far too late to matter and merely fluff.

krycor

Honorary Master
Perhaps the only positive is remind the Zuma faction that people won't stand for crap to come but trust me.. when CR is ousted (lets not pretend he will survive the onslaught coming) people will be quelled just as easily.

I'd personally put more effort for 'other' things happening to strengthen procedures, courts and democracy i.e. such as the electing of a president rather than a party.