South African taxpayers to pay for ban on cigarettes and alcohol: expert

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well imagine they weren't banned, South africans would be paying for them no? Now even non-drinkers and smokers have to fork out.
I think all minsters salaries should be forgone and gone to pay for this. They are the decision makers.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Well where else do they think tax moneys come from? It's all tax payers.

Lupus

Honorary Master
1. Cut all ministers salaries, they don't use it for anything anyway.
2. All luxuries get cut, they can pay for their own places and cars
3. All grants are cut to the freeloaders sorry there is no money, go burn down Luthuli house.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Well someone will have to pay, just too bad the taxpayers don't have any money left.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well someone will have to pay, just too bad the taxpayers don't have any money left.
That is raised in the article, how is SARS going to actually recover this? I know a few ways the treasury could actually, and so the people can really see what the ANC has done to them. But it won't happen.

rietrot

Honorary Master
That is raised in the article, how is SARS going to actually recover this? I know a few ways the treasury could actually, and so the people can really see what the ANC has done to them. But it won't happen.
It's not possible to raise taxes anymore. We've reached the top of the Laffer curve https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve
last year and any attempt by the government to take more money from people will just have the opposite effect as people do less business.

The best thing the government can do to make up for the shortfall is to drastically cut taxes.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's not possible to raise taxes anymore. We've reached the top of the Laffer curve https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laffer_curve
last year and any attempt by the government to take more money from people will just have the opposite effect as people do less business.

The best thing the government can do to make up for the shortfall is to drastically cut taxes.
Yup, there is no where else for the money to come from, SARS is right royally screwed and now SA has 500billion to pay back? Cause we needed that for the lockdown which achieved less than nothing.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Good luck with that, the tax payer is maxed out.

They will just have to borrow more and more and then one day in the future default on it all or inflate the debt away.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Good luck with that, the tax payer is maxed out.

They will just have to borrow more and more and then one day in the future default on it all or inflate the debt away.
We aren't likely to inflate out of the debt with our current reserve bank policy.

We don't print, and we manage inflation between 4-6% with the interest rate. Inflating out of the debt would require exactly the opposite.

If the new loans are even in Rands?

Tun@

Expert Member
Even if one puts aside the possible backhanders they are getting from the illegal trade how could they have logically thought that keeping tobacco/a tax gain shut was a good idea.
It's like they just don't think or rather it just feeds back to they are getting backhanders

Messugga

Honorary Master
Pay out social grants in cigarettes.

Edit: Social grant recipients can then sell as a business. Government get tax back from said business. Problem solved?
More pragmatically, just get rid of all social grant recipients. Banish them to Reunion Island or something and let them fend for themselves.

BBSA

Honorary Master
We aren't likely to inflate out of the debt with our current reserve bank policy.

We don't print, and we manage inflation between 4-6% with the interest rate. Inflating out of the debt would require exactly the opposite.

If the new loans are even in Rands?
If they can not inflate the debt away they will have to default on it.

JurgensBeMe

The responsibility of filling the gap will now fall upon the South African taxpayers, says David French, Tax Consulting Director at Mazars.
Mr. French you are a pous, **** me that is a thing beyond ridiculous for any educated person to say. I would rather say it is the ANC's responsibility to steal less and spend tax money better. How can all responsibility be absolved from the government and then put on the individual... JESUS this country, it is beyond ****ed.
“With Treasury planning to table a special adjustments budget on June 24, we can only hope that the measures that will be introduced, will not be destructive to the taxpayer base.”
It is either this or they are going to drastically curb there expenditure, which one do you feel is more probable?

Last edited:

Moosedrool

Executive Member
The ANC will simply start digging into pension funds while also taking their chunk.

JurgensBeMe

lets see what they do, but I have always been a defender of the new SA, but I'm pretty sure this spells the end. They already are thinking of ways to extend grants... WTF ARE THEY THINKING!!!. jissis half the country is broke and without a job and they want to spend more money?

Where exactly do these useless tsotsies think the money is going to come from? I'm sorry as racist as it might sound my father was right when he said a black man cannot run a country.