South African University broadband speed shootout

RatX

Whoever's idea it was to make this chart in kilobits per second needs their ICDL revoked.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
"Cape Technikon 341,671 94,926 22"
Useless, there are multiple campuses and it depends on what lab you're in as not all the switches have been upgraded from 100Mbps (at least Cape Town campus).
I did recently have a speedtest of 500Mbps though using one of the 802.11ac access points.

EDIT: And there is a site with all the info broken down by university by campus. Can't remember the URL currently.

Last edited:

gah

all network operators present at its peering points are provided with a free 1Gbps connection to the MyBroadband Speed Test platform
One has to wonder about the validty of any results here. Unless the speed test platform has significantly more bandwidth available to it than the average desktop in a university, what's really being measured here will be massively influenced by other tests going on and the performance of the test platform itself.

At these bandwidths it is also trivial to contrive tests by carefully picking things like time and location.
6166241110.png

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
peak speed results
What exactly do they mean by peak here?

Surely average is a better measure of experience.

Tuks was dog slow in my experience. That was a long time ago though

Genisys

Executive Member
"Cape Technikon 341,671 94,926 22"
Useless, there are multiple campuses and it depends on what lab you're in as not all the switches have been upgraded from 100Mbps (at least Cape Town campus).
I did recently have a speedtest of 500Mbps though using one of the 802.11ac access points.

EDIT: And there is a site with all the info broken down by university by campus. Can't remember the URL currently.
TENET.