South African university with the highest Internet speed

MrUnknown

This article is utter lies. I know for a fact that UJ gets around 850Mbps and UP and CTU also gets around 800Mbps.

Most universities I know of gets around 850Mbps

booya30

I fail to see the point of this article.
Speedtest speeds at universities are completely useless without context and the way they're presented here provides no conclusive evidence that one university has "faster" internet than another (was is taken by a techie in the IT dept with a Gigabit ethernet connection? was it taken at the HPC office? do only staff enjoy fast gigabit speeds and students get shoddy wifi with a 3GB cap? do students get wifi at all?)

If you really want to get a gauge of how a Higher Ed institutions are doing from a bandwidth/internet POV, take a look at TENET graphs (http://graphs.tenet.ac.za/iris/tenet/home) , utilization, institution sizes and how they use what they have. I'm sure you'll arrive at an article with a little more substance than the one above.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I fail to see the point of this article.
Speedtest speeds at universities are completely useless without context and the way they're presented here provides no conclusive evidence that one university has "faster" internet than another (was is taken by a techie in the IT dept with a Gigabit ethernet connection? was it taken at the HPC office? do only staff enjoy fast gigabit speeds and students get shoddy wifi with a 3GB cap? do students get wifi at all?)

If you really want to get a gauge of how a Higher Ed institutions are doing from a bandwidth/internet POV, take a look at TENET graphs (http://graphs.tenet.ac.za/iris/tenet/home) , utilization, institution sizes and how they use what they have. I'm sure you'll arrive at an article with a little more substance than the one above.
Fully agree with this! As one of the original designers of the SANReN network in conjunction with TENET, the above reference is the one to look at.

And yes ALL the students have access to the network IF their local IT department has sorted out their campus LANs and provided Wi-Fi access points. One item in favour of TUT is that ALL their official residences are on a 10 Gbps shared backbone ring, which not all other Universities have implemented.

The single biggest stumbling block in allowing students access to the SANReN network managed by TENET was and probably still is, the internal IT department policies on providing students with Internet access. This network is the most successful and productive country wide private network this country has ever seen. Virtually ALL major campuses are on a minimum of a 10 Gbps fully redundant fibre based ring network. Smaller campuses on a fully redundant 1 Gbps ring. A few are clinging to their own pathetic wireless networks.

The network was designed on the basis that network utilisation would never exceed 25% utilisation and contention free. I know this rule is not strictly adhered to but the principal remains, it is a contention-free network with charges completely independent of capacity utilisation except for International Access, which is still to a large extent bandwidth dependent.

And BTW PTA University is not on the bottom of the list for nothing! Their internal internet access policies are the most restrictive of all.

Last edited:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Interesting comments above.

Also I assume that by far the bulk of traffic over uni networks are LAN? Quality of that far more important than internet, no?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you mean was the network installed for Internet access or for research related data transfer, then yes the latter is the prime objective of the network. Internet access is incidental, BUT almost equally important.

Thor

Honorary Master
Where is Maties, they are far more than those.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
And BTW PTA University is not on the bottom of the list for nothing! Their internal internet access policies are the most restrictive of all.
You're being soft there with that statement! :)
You get free internet access to the tune of 500MB for a year as a student.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What?
I'm at CPUT, wanted to post a speedtest when I saw the article but got distracted. No usage limit.
At the time I had 30Mbps down/90Mbps up on the WiFi. PC's were previously limited to 100Mbps per 30 machines due to the switches, I think they upgraded them to 1 Gbps when they pulled Cat6a cabling for 802.11ac WiFi, replacing the mass of Cat5 cabling.

FoXtroT

Expert Member
That's ridiculous! How can they call themselves a modern university if they have internet usage policies from the 90's?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Fully agree with this! As one of the original designers of the SANReN network in conjunction with TENET, the above reference is the one to look at.

And yes ALL the students have access to the network IF their local IT department has sorted out their campus LANs and provided Wi-Fi access points. One item in favour of TUT is that ALL their official residences are on a 10 Gbps shared backbone ring, which not all other Universities have implemented.

The single biggest stumbling block in allowing students access to the SANReN network managed by TENET was and probably still is, the internal IT department policies on providing students with Internet access. This network is the most successful and productive country wide private network this country has ever seen. Virtually ALL major campuses are on a minimum of a 10 Gbps fully redundant fibre based ring network. Smaller campuses on a fully redundant 1 Gbps ring. A few are clinging to their own pathetic wireless networks.

The network was designed on the basis that network utilisation would never exceed 25% utilisation and contention free. I know this rule is not strictly adhered to but the principal remains, it is a contention-free network with charges completely independent of capacity utilisation except for International Access, which is still to a large extent bandwidth dependent.

Why is the international speed so disgraceful though on TENET? Speaking from my experience at NMMU though, which may not represent what is typical at other universities.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Why is the international speed so disgraceful though on TENET? Speaking from my experience at NMMU though, which may not represent what is typical at other universities.
The backbone capacity was (3 years ago) 10 Gbps on Seacom and about 40 Gbps on WACS, not all of which was activated. Each University determines how much they want based on their own budget constraints. NMMU was quite conservative back then. It was not because of any lack of capacity on the international leg of the SANReN-TENET network.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The backbone capacity was (3 years ago) 10 Gbps on Seacom and about 40 Gbps on WACS, not all of which was activated. Each University determines how much they want based on their own budget constraints. NMMU was quite conservative back then. It was not because of any lack of capacity on the international leg of the SANReN-TENET network.
Thanks for the insight. I can't tell you how frustrating the speed has been on an uncountable number of occasions.

ridohr

Stellenbosch university is the highest please check again with download of 950mbs+ and upload of 800mbs+ proven over 3 times from different users how could mybroadband miss this???

ridohr

Stellenbosch university is the highest please check again with download of 950mbs+ and upload of 800mbs+ proven over 3 times from different users how could mybroadband miss this???

I tested it and the ithub manager on campus tested and posted but we were not added to the list

Thor

Honorary Master
No idea

ridohr

Where is Maties, they are far more than those.

gah

Through NAPAfrica, all network operators present at its peering points are provided with a free 1Gbps connection to the MyBroadband speed test platform.
Most universities have 10Gbps pipes; some have multiples of 10Gbps. You have 1Gbps. So do many desktop PCs in universities. So what you're really measuring here is the level of congestion of your speed test server's uplink...