South African web hosting price comparison – Hetzner vs Afrihost

Apogee

"However, to offer a top-quality service which scales when you have thousands of domains is far more challenging."

That is very true.

That is where both companies are seriously lacking.

Hetzner is one of the oldest hosting companies in SA, but still they cannot get email routed properly.

This issue from 2013 is still present, as I found out with a client of theirs:

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/hetzner-email-delivery.520601/#post-10156733

To find out what Afrihost's level of service is, you just have to look through this forum.

werny

Expert Member
Stay away from Afrihost Hosting at all costs, have heard horror stories. :sick:

Reactions: OCP

recre8

Geez, I haven't thought about hosting in so long now that everything we do is either Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS cloud based. I don't actually think I'll ever consider using small/local hosting companies. Just don't see the point. Especially now that Azure data centers are opening in CPT and JHB there is even less reason.

Both services offer you either just hosting of your site or a dedicated VM among other services such as DNS, MySQL,SQLServer, Redis etc. Choices of both linux and Windows hosting. Most importantly instant scale-up when traffic dictates the need. hint hint computicket.

Grep

Trying to move a domain to AH is like pulling hairs to try getting DNS records sorted before migration. I have literally given up. They don't even know how to re-enable a domain name hosted on their own panel.

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Trying to move a domain to AH is like pulling hairs to try getting DNS records sorted before migration. I have literally given up. They don't even know how to re-enable a domain name hosted on their own panel.
:( That's incredibly frustrating to hear, I really do apologise for that experience. Moving your domain to Afrihost should never be a complicated process.

Were you able to find a solution that worked for you?

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Stay away from Afrihost Hosting at all costs, have heard horror stories. :sick:
I'm really disappointed to hear that. It's always been our top-priority that we give each of our Clients the best experience possible.

Petec

Expert Member
Erm nope...
Hetzner vs Afrihost , just doesn't compare. I have migrated quite a lot of clients to Hetzner, over the years, for the plain reason of the poor clients being at the end of their tether.

Hetzner = Sharecall number, a few seconds hold time, prompt assistance (accounts and/or technical), and highly knowledgeable technical staff. Incredibly prompt and helpful email correspondence. Good with their hosting setup, with any grumble issues balanced by their brilliant service.

Afrihost = Joburg number, long hold times, mostly unskilled and inefficient technical staff. Appalling accounts staff. Inability to ever completely resolve technical issues. Long list of technical messups, that cause clients sites and email to stay broken for unacceptable periods of time.

I am not flaming or hating, just stating facts after many years of dealing with this stuff. The shocking service and lack of sustained delivery from Afrihost, has in itself added a fair chunk to Hetzner's client base. Think anti-advertising.

Swa

Honorary Master
Even with the poor exchange rate international hosting looks attractive.

OCP

Expert Member
Erm nope...
Hetzner vs Afrihost , just doesn't compare. I have migrated quite a lot of clients to Hetzner, over the years, for the plain reason of the poor clients being at the end of their tether.

Hetzner = Sharecall number, a few seconds hold time, prompt assistance (accounts and/or technical), and highly knowledgeable technical staff. Incredibly prompt and helpful email correspondence. Good with their hosting setup, with any grumble issues balanced by their brilliant service.

Afrihost = Joburg number, long hold times, mostly unskilled and inefficient technical staff. Appalling accounts staff. Inability to ever completely resolve technical issues. Long list of technical messups, that cause clients sites and email to stay broken for unacceptable periods of time.

I am not flaming or hating, just stating facts after many years of dealing with this stuff. The shocking service and lack of sustained delivery from Afrihost, has in itself added a fair chunk to Hetzner's client base. Think anti-advertising.
I can't add anything more to this - exactly what I was going to say.

OCP

Expert Member
Yes, eventually, thanks - by forcing me to move my clients to another provider.
Yup - had the same issue with every hosted service at AH; nothing but consistent problems resulting in unhappy clients.

Moves every last service to either Hetzner or domains.co.za and went from 10/15 problems a week to 1-2 problems a month with the difference that these 1-2 small issues get resolved quickly and professionally without being treated like an idiot by incompetent staff who care nothing about the client.

Rubbish article comparing a brilliant hosting company like Hetzner with the tripe that is AH.

ekske1

Executive Member
South African web hosting price comparison – Hetzner vs Afrihost

To open a basic web hosting company is easy – get a dedicated server, build a website with a few shared hosting options, and start promoting your products.

However, to offer a top-quality service which scales when you have thousands of domains is far more challenging.

You seems to have missed openhosting
We have built a world-class Hosting network on South Africa’s Largest Cloud network in Rosebank. We didn’t stop there; we implemented 4 x layers of redundancy and loaded more capacity onto the network than 3 x of our competitor networks combined! We have 6 backup generators standing by to take over when Eskom goes on holiday.
http://openweb.co.za/webhosting/

LOL.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Thanks to Afrihost I'm now stuck with locked domains even though I requested the hosting to be cancelled and domains unlocked. Luckily not mission critical websites.

Praemon

Expert Member
Hetzner is by far the better provider after hosting with both, however, they have a serious lack of interest in security. Even after their Konsole software was hacked, they still don't offer 2FA. Nor do they offer SFTP, only generic FTP with credentials sent in plaintext.

sajunky

Honorary Master
are two South African hosting companies which are synonymous with excellent service levels and customer centricity – Hetzner and Afrihost.
What a bull. A company of my friend with co.za domain had Webhosting service with Afrihost. Constant problems with accessing some (selected) Email accounts from South Africa or all over the world. Other accounts didn't have problems. Incompetent personel, random success stories, some accounts have never been activated properly.

The big surprise was to discover that a website was accessible from South Africa, but not from outside of the world. A friend calls me, Google analytics are returning 0 visitors, please, help. I investigated the matter, a simple Opera test with VPN exit point in Europe, US, etc. shows that connection is initially established, but two clicks later Afrihost routers block the connection. When I set VPN exit in SA, it works. What a hell is with Afrihost! For number of months nobody from Afrihost was able to fix this problem.

Service was terminated effective end of September. I moved a domain and website to domains.co.za, thanks to @Bryn. Also see my thread covering this matter: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/basic-web-hosting-and-email-server-recomendation.971225/