South Africans 5G towers burnt over COVID-19 worries

jbroo

Why lay the blame for this with the people? That's what happens when the quality of information is poor.
No. Very no. It's a combination of stupidity and fake news all over the internet. People choose to believe this crap and not actual science.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
No. Very no. It's a combination of stupidity and fake news all over the internet. People choose to believe this crap and not actual science.
Like it or not, it's a combination that clearly worked. If the official messages regarding the virus were more robust and didn't change as the weeks rolled on, this would've been a lesser issue.
An example, from an official, trusted, source:
1610086946401.png

The_MAC

Executive Member

What type of science, African or Western?

Kawak

Ahh the joys of fscking idiots listening to other idiots like that retarded ethekwini councilor... He should be personally sent a bill for the repair of these 3 towers imo.

**Edit**

He also now needs to be arrested as per Stella's press release.
Arresting him wouldn't be punishment at all, he needs to made to do community service, back breaking labour to reinstall those towers.

jbroo

Like it or not, it's a combination that clearly worked. If the official messages regarding the virus were more robust and didn't change as the weeks rolled on, this would've been a lesser issue.
An example, from an official, trusted, source:
View attachment 989672
Point taken, but of course not all information is known at the beginning of anything. I guess they had to say something, and that was what was thought to be true at the time. Yes perhaps this post was a bit too hasty but it was Jan 2020. Nobody knew much about Covid-19. My point is fact based information should not have to compete with conspiracy mumbo jumbo, and moreover, everyone these days seems very inclined to believe conspiracy bullshit.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
And people think that **** councilor wasn't going to be taken seriously
Too many people in South Africa - and on these very forums - think it is a joke when our lunatic politicians say outrageous and often dangerous things.

They don't realise there are millions of even dumber people out there ready to believe it and act on it.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Point taken, but of course not all information is known at the beginning of anything. I guess they had to say something, and that was what was thought to be true at the time. Yes perhaps this post was a bit too hasty but it was Jan 2020. Nobody knew much about Covid-19. My point is fact based information should not have to compete with conspiracy mumbo jumbo, and moreover, everyone these days seems very inclined to believe conspiracy bullshit.
The argument for the facts need to be better, unfortunately. It also doesn't help when many of the "conspiracies" ended up being true, further hurting those who came with "facts".

jbroo

The argument for the facts need to be better, unfortunately. It also doesn't help when many of the "conspiracies" ended up being true, further hurting those who came with "facts".
The argument for the facts?? This isnt about choosing which theory you prefer. Sometimes facts are scarce. That's how we learn things, we get more info as we discover more. It doesnt mean the facts have to have an alluring argument. It also does not mean you should jump onto the more scandalous "alternative facts" theories.

What conspiracies ended up being true?

jbroo

What I get out of this, is you think it's not people's fault that they believed the "5G causes corona" camp, and they should somehow not be blamed.

If I watched a video that told me corona was caused by immigrants, then I went and killed them, would you still say it was not my fault? Was it just the facts were not convincing enough? Should I not be personally held liable for buying into (the absolute crapton) of misinformation on the web and commiting a crime?

This is a dangerous way to think mate.