South Africans are not getting the full story behind load shedding

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Of course we are getting a half-truth.

For example today: City power's website says "WE ARE NOT LOAD SHEDDING" Guess what, the power went out at exactly 11:00

ellyally

Expert Member
No ****... also rather convenient load shedding has started against just when nersa postponed/delayed/cancel increase hearings... leaving me to believe there is still the 'load shed to force our new tariffs to increase our bonuses' plan in action

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm surprised that journalists aren't doing a better job of exposing the crisis.

scienide

Expert Member
Sad thing is:

Eskom EC is currently pushing for 45 000 new connections by October!
Staff need work overtime etc to meet target as they did not last year.

We are already struggling to provide enough electricity to the current amount of connections, but they want to add more!

bassplayer

Things are far worse. Eskom/City Power dont stick to the schedules. If you look at the trends over the last few months, load shedding and "unplanned maintenance" is increasing daily. The same thing happened in Zim. Unless there is a change in government, SA will have daily load shedding until the end of time. Its just going to get more frequent and happen 2-3 times a day, at any given time.

garp

Executive Member
They need to be more specific and transparent when they announce problems instead of being vague and generic. Their lack of transparency leads to suspicion. They should be telling us exactly what is wrong and where it has gone wrong.

Albereth

Honorary Master
Things are far worse. Eskom/City Power dont stick to the schedules. If you look at the trends over the last few months, load shedding and "unplanned maintenance" is increasing daily. The same thing happened in Zim. Unless there is a change in government, SA will have daily load shedding until the end of time. Its just going to get more frequent and happen 2-3 times a day, at any given time.
As incompetent as City Power may be, and as prone to telling lies as they are, City Power do stick to the schedule. You don't get turned off unless you are due to be cut. They don't always turn you off but if they need to they do according to the schedule.

If you get cut when you are not scheduled for it then it's a failure somewhere.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
As incompetent as City Power may be, and as prone to telling lies as they are, City Power do stick to the schedule. You don't get turned off unless you are due to be cut. They don't always turn you off but if they need to they do according to the schedule.

If you get cut when you are not scheduled for it then it's a failure somewhere.
I am sorry I don't agree.
Let us not forget the case when I bust them in the substation, performing load-shedding in this area because they said "people are using too much power"

Faults do not happen exactly on the hour and for exactly two hour or four hour periods

garp

Executive Member
Seems unlikely that there would be some kind of conspiracy between City Power and Eskom to perform stealth load shedding. What would be the benefit when they have regular daily formal load shedding anyway? It's hardly like there would be much PR benefit. Besides, cutting off just a suburb isn't going to make much significant difference to Eskom's overall demand. More likely to be a plain old power failure or maintenance issue.

Koosi, when they said they cut off a substation because it's using too much power, possibly there's an issue with that specific substation drawing too much load or a technical fault (overheating transformers or something like that).

Ianf1

Expert Member
We are under loadshedding by incompetence in Illovo jhb at the moment. This current round of blackouts Haven't been to bad.

Batista

Executive Member
Do we ever get the full story about anything is this country?NO, So why is this any different?

vaakseun

No, we're not getting the full story but we sure as hell can read between the lines.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Power came back now...
was out for 4:00:37 (yes we checked with a stopwatch)
Definitely loadshedding and I will not entertain those City Power supporters/employees on the forum.
Call a spade a spade, and step up to the plate and tell the truth, don't be like that sack of crap Louis Pieterse.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Seems unlikely that there would be some kind of conspiracy between City Power and Eskom to perform stealth load shedding. What would be the benefit when they have regular daily formal load shedding anyway? It's hardly like there would be much PR benefit. Besides, cutting off just a suburb isn't going to make much significant difference to Eskom's overall demand. More likely to be a plain old power failure or maintenance issue.

Koosi, when they said they cut off a substation because it's using too much power, possibly there's an issue with that specific substation drawing too much load or a technical fault (overheating transformers or something like that).
This has been raised on 702 before. They hit a brick wall trying to get answers. You know what. I really don't give a flying F-U-C-K anymore, I am leaving anyway.

Utterly Confused

This has been raised on 702 before. They hit a brick wall trying to get answers. You know what. I really don't give a flying F-U-C-K anymore, I am leaving anyway.
I wish that I could say the same thing, don't have enough moulah to leave, so I have to stick it out. Getting frustrated by the day to hear how this country is being run into the ground by this cANCer government. I wish you Bon Voyage on you ventures. Good Luck. :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Of course we are getting a half-truth.

For example today: City power's website says "WE ARE NOT LOAD SHEDDING" Guess what, the power went out at exactly 11:00
And you know it was load shedding rather than equipment failure or essential maintenance?

dabean

Expert Member
Our power's been off since 6 here in Bloem. I don't mind eating late but I'd kill for a cup of coffee.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
And you know it was load shedding rather than equipment failure or essential maintenance?
I think his point is "equipment failure" doesn't take exactly 2 hours starting exactly on the hour.

Inclined to agree with Koosi on this...you can see it in the mybb posts that there is at least some out of cycle LS happening. Generally gets shot down as not being loadshedding by someone posting a like to City Power's not LS site.