South Africans are scared of machines stealing their jobs

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

Powerful new technologies are emerging that will continue to affect individuals in multiple ways. This has led to references to a Fourth Industrial Revolution – a new era involving the application of digitisation and automation to different areas of society and everyday life.

This revolution is one that presents distinct opportunity. But it also presents major risk and human costs.

[The Conversation]

genetic

Honorary Master
Good. Most South African blue collar workers are lazy AF and would rather riot and strike than earn an income. They should be scared.

Reactions: smi

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
If the thought of robots in whatever form, taking over their jobs, bothers them, then they had better start adding value to their employers business - if they do not, they are the looser. Stikes and other forms of industrial actions they partake in, in an attempt to stop this happening, will only negatively impact them. The choice is theirs, either they act positively and delay what they fear, or negatively, and hasten the inevitable.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Wonder how a robots strike will go
You mean when the Microsoft branded ones do a system update and just go...

"Getting things ready... 1 - 100%" for a few hours followed by...

"installing updates 1 - 100%" for another few hours?

Yep I can totally see random industrial (in)action happening

beans100

Honorary Master
You mean when the Microsoft branded ones do a system update and just go...

"Getting things ready... 1 - 100%" for a few hours followed by...

"installing updates 1 - 100%" for another few hours?

Yep I can totally see random industrial (in)action happening
Seems they already have a nack for the Go-Slow :laugh:

Tander

Executive Member
If you have a blue collar job; then yeah there is reason to be scared. I’m fortunate enough that my job cannot be replaced by machines.

Magnum

Expert Member
Im not really scared of this Revolution. I am the one building, desigin and maintaining all these machines. I'm actually all for it. More money for me....

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
When the combined IQ is less than the robot that replaces them.
I would also be worried.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member

Powerful new technologies are emerging that will continue to affect individuals in multiple ways. This has led to references to a Fourth Industrial Revolution – a new era involving the application of digitisation and automation to different areas of society and everyday life.

This revolution is one that presents distinct opportunity. But it also presents major risk and human costs.

[The Conversation]

"The fourth industrial revolution" is the driven phrase pused out as a new TREND, but what it actually is, is missing. The only fairytale sputter that comes out is all must code. Imagine 7 billion+ coders on this planet-WOW!
If every body code(has power), and this complexity starts going south, you going to se a few faces high up in EU without expressions, just staring to the horison...

There is a "Humanitarian Ballance of Living" to be upsetted in a big way coming if this TREND is allowed to take off in a big way. Also removing jod security make people real nervous long term leading to all sorts of ailments & mistrust, ....who can commit to long term stuff like houses/properties if you have to look for a job every 3-5 years, instability is the name of the coming game, unless the world come up with a complete new monetary system NEVER seen before that speak to these future ills. Living in a washing machine so to speak.

Wonder how a robots strike will go
It will work till you cut the power. It is TOTALLY power dependant.

It appears those who makes decissions lost all long term foresight and common sense and promote a fully power dependant living in a bubble, not realising theres more than a few beings on the planet alongside them.

For those awake, are we going to be MAXED out-?

Last edited:

Thor

Honorary Master
We are lazy as hell so we deserve to have our jobs stolen.