South Africans are wary of Internet banking

krycor

Honorary Master
South Africans are weary of Internet banking

Only time I visit a branch it's because the info or service is not directly available online. If I was a bank I'd analyze the queries and remove need for it more.. A lot of services can be done online already though.

Eg. Proof of banking account .. This simple letter signed off by a branch manager can only be done at the bank. Similarly the some application forms are office only :-/

Personally I think where a branch visit is needed, it's a failure of a bank's website (convoluted, not showing info needed as appropriate) or failure to bring into the online domain certain services.

Last edited:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Oh. I trust internet banking. But only from the secure VM on my one laptop. No way I'll go in any other way.

Turgon

Well its mainly those who don't have internet access... and old fogies like my parents who don't want internet banking

I want nothing to do with Internet banking, and that has nothing to do with lacking access, or being an old fogie.

No amount of 'improved services' or availability of tools will convince me that Internet Banking is a good idea.

MickZA

Executive Member
Kaspersky found that despite fears over cyber crime, 74% of South African internet users used computers for online payments, 22% used smartphones and 32% used smartphones.
... maybe 32% used smarterphones :confused:

saor

Honorary Master
I want nothing to do with Internet banking, and that has nothing to do with lacking access, or being an old fogie.

No amount of 'improved services' or availability of tools will convince me that Internet Banking is a good idea.
So you spend time in a bank every time you need to do a payment / transfer funds between accounts?

Sonic2k

Executive Member

You like standing in queues?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

That says more about you than it does about internet banking. Learn how to secure your device properly, incompetent users are not a system fault...

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
I guess the same lot don't have a problem shoving their cards into ATMs (in dark corners).

Turgon

So you spend time in a bank every time you need to do a payment / transfer funds between accounts?

I use ATMs for EFT payments and transfers, in the vague (and no doubt eventually vain) hope that the bank statisticians will tell their bosses that there is still demand for ATM's (and branches, for that matter), so that they will not be replaced entirely by Internet Banking, which will force my hand.

You like standing in queues?

Only to set up EFT beneficiaries and the occasional one-off payments. I hate queues, like most sane people, but it's worth standing in them if it will skew the above statisticians' statistics.

I guess the same lot don't have a problem shoving their cards into ATMs (in dark corners).

Of course ATMs can be a risk, but they are bank infrastructure, that the bank should be taking responsibility for. If they are made vulnerable, the bank can't simply blame my own presumed technological incompetence, which they could if I used my own computing devices via the internet. In terms of personal and physical security, I'll take my chances, ie. "He who gives up liberties to gain security, yadayada"....

That says more about you than it does about internet banking. Learn how to secure your device properly, incompetent users are not a system fault...

I am certainly no incompetent technology user, I'm a software developer by trade and linux user since about 2000, but NO-ONE can make the claim that their hardware or software is truly secure, not when three-letter-agencies are installing back-doors into routers before they even get shipped to the store where we buy them. I'll leave that lie to the marketing departments...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Does it matter? Anyone can still take all your bank accounts money via a rogue debit order at any time...