South Africans aren't fetching their parcels from Post Office branches

Dan C

Honorary Master
Try Fedex who takes 8 days just to clear a parcel with Customs and then charge you R150 for the privilege of doing so :mad:

customs fee was around R177 on its own.
I doubt it that Fedex is State owned and get any of our tax money.

Drifter

Honorary Master
No, they cant, but they have to collect the tax and pay over to guavament.

geezer

Expert Member
A couple of years ago I ordered something from eBay and after about 2-3 months I was given a notice that there's a parcel ready for collection. Per chance I was outside when the postman did his deliveries and he handed it to me personally. I immediately drove to the post office to collect the parcel and after a very long wait I was informed the parcel was sent back because I did not collect it. The notice to collect was date stamped for that day and was only given a blank stare when I asked for an explanation. I never received the item, and was also not refunded. That was my last dealings with SAPO.

maxxis

Expert Member
Had a parcel arrive from the US. Tracked it to the day it arrived, cleared customs, and immediately was returned to sender.

I could then track it all the way back to the US

It was a small tool that had zero reason to the be returned. The company in the US said the reason was that they failed to deliver to my address.

eg2505

Honorary Master
of course you wouldn't bother to go collect them, why would you???
they been stolen long ago, :ROFL:

Dudlu

Expert Member
How about sending a notification that there is a parcel waiting for you, like in the old days, you know?
They do. People also don't change their addresses and things get sent to the wrong places. I recently got notification slip addressed to my landlord. I've been living in this apartment for 4 years and the man lives in whole different city.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
They do. People also don't change their addresses and things get sent to the wrong places. I recently got notification slip addressed to my landlord. I've been living in this apartment for 4 years and the man lives in whole different city.

The package was probably posted 5 years ago.

Speedracer

South Africans aren't collecting their packages — Post Office

The South African Post Office (SAPO) says it is launching a campaign to make sure that clients collect their parcels.

It found that many parcels go to post office branches, but are not collected and are returned to sender.
Absolutely Hoggwash. I have NEVER received a SMS and just last week I received a reminder not in my post box marked FINAL REMINDER just to realise that the date on this slip was 2 weeks old and when I arrived at the post office in Krugersdorp I was informed the package/parcel was no longer there as was returned. So the delivery of postage is not even happening on time so time the post office ceases to exist. Waste of time and money. Yet not one prior reminder note to the FINAL warning was ever delivered to my post box

Lululemon

1) It's all lies, we do not get notified about our boxes or packages. We hear they were returned to the owner when we go there for follow ups.
2) Some of us do not collect because of the high amount to pay. I am asked to pay the sum of R1800 to pick up a parcel when I cant even afford to eat. If I had R1800 I will buy food and also buy electricity. The amount is too much. Something needs to be done about it. It's just crazy.

Lululemon

Absolutely Hoggwash. I have NEVER received a SMS and just last week I received a reminder not in my post box marked FINAL REMINDER just to realise that the date on this slip was 2 weeks old and when I arrived at the post office in Krugersdorp I was informed the package/parcel was no longer there as was returned. So the delivery of postage is not even happening on time so time the post office ceases to exist. Waste of time and money. Yet not one prior reminder note to the FINAL warning was ever delivered to my post box
Yes same thing happened to me. Useless post office service.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Consider me shocked but also not shocked...

Door bell rings, there is delivery for me, gent tells me I need to bring R200 cash to accept delivery :unsure: I ask him what he is delivering and where he is from, says it is a package from the UK and he is from the Post Office. It must be my Liverpool International Supporters Club membership pack and the R200 is the customs charges which is exorbitant but not the point. When did the Post Office start delivering packages? I have always, always, always had to collect, if the package is still there of course,

Dan C

Honorary Master

Door bell rings, there is delivery for me, gent tells me I need to bring R200 cash to accept delivery :unsure: I ask him what he is delivering and where he is from, says it is a package from the UK and he is from the Post Office. It must be my Liverpool International Supporters Club membership pack and the R200 is the customs charges which is exorbitant but not the point. When did the Post Office start delivering packages? I have always, always, always had to collect, if the package is still there of course,
Next time support a decent team.

Soozie3201

South Africans aren't collecting their packages — Post Office

The South African Post Office (SAPO) says it is launching a campaign to make sure that clients collect their parcels.

It found that many parcels go to post office branches, but are not collected and are returned to sender.
The problem in Pietermaritzburg and many other towns is that the PO has closed - nobody has any idea where the parcel has gone or where it has been forwarded. Slips are sent to PO boxes that are at PO that have been chained shut by landlords for non payment of rent. So it's not that we don't collect them, it is just that we are clueless as to how to proceed. Tracking doesn't work either. THE PO IS DEAD!

B-1

Expert Member

There are international reciprocal postal agreements that include door to door. I doubt we are able to meet much of our agreements though.

Neuk_

Executive Member
There are international reciprocal postal agreements that include door to door. I doubt we are able to meet much of our agreements though.

Interesting, this is the first time ever I have had the post office at my door with any package from anywhere and anybody, and I have recieved many Liverpool International Supporters Club membership pack's over the years and will continue to do so, despite @Dan C .

airborne

Honorary Master
The door to door service is called EMS and it used to work quite well and was relatively cheap. I'm too scared to use it any more but it's still offered by SAPO.

Reactions: B-1