South Africans aren't subscribing to DStv Premium

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

MultiChoice Group has published its annual results for the year ended 31 March 2019, showing that its DStv Premium product remains under pressure.

The company did not publish the exact number of Premium subscribers it had at the end of March 2019, but did admit that the segment was suffering due to competition and a difficult economy.

Craig_

Honorary Master
Because besides the sport there's almost never anything to watch. My kids prefers netflix over dstv, which I found really surprising.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You've got to wonder what idiot is in charge at Multichoice for there to still be no all-inclusive streaming package available to subscribe to. It's mid-2019 here. Hardly anyone wants their overpriced sub-1080p satellite tech.

krycor

Honorary Master
So given this scenario.. when is DSTV Now becoming a separate product?

marine1

Honorary Master
Was at the chick on weekend and could not believe how old the stuff is on series, I dont know what channel but it so old, the seasons

Wasabee!

Executive Member
Three DSTV articles about the same matter in a matter of minutes???
Really myBB?
They bought an advertising bundle with MyBB and decided to blow it all at once. Or they didn't pay for their bundle and MyBB is blackmailing them.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Was at the chick on weekend and could not believe how old the stuff is on series, I dont know what channel but it so old, the seasons
Comedy Central? Sony? Was it one of their premium channels or one of the ones they kind of just bundle? Cause the premium channels have more recent series while the others are just eh. Especially Universal, Comedy Central, Sony, Fox, 116 what ever that's called now also has some older stuff on it.
What I find funny is they originally used to have three channels for series to separate different types of series, then they merged them all back into MNet and Vuzu but kept the one for older stuff. Now the channel that was kept for the older stuff is showing recent stuff again as it seems they can't get all the stuff on MNet and Vuzu has become more local content.

randburgred

I could be mistaken but when they say rest of Africa my immediate thoughts are that according to reports DSTV premium is a lot cheaper outside of RSA and some of the places do not have reliable broadband - Although those places are getting fewer by the day,

warennel01

Dstv is the prime example of in-the-box thinking leadership... They will probably retrench soon and blame it on disrupters like Netflix in the market...

Inyanga

Keeping exclusive sports like cricket and rugby on pay tv with less and less viewers and slowly emptying stadiums will accelerate the decline and interest and proficiency in these sports. Moved to FTTH and Netflix even before they were in country and have not looked back.

Shadowchaser1

Mmm, probably to scared to show the numbers for real. They are going to wake up 1 morning with 50 % less subscribers than they think on Premium. They seriously suck. What is advertised as new series is usually already old. On Showmax as well.

Neville Wright

MultiChoice Group has published its annual results for the year ended 31 March 2019, showing that its DStv Premium product remains under pressure.

The company did not publish the exact number of Premium subscribers it had at the end of March 2019, but did admit that the segment was suffering due to competition and a difficult economy.
Crap I would get rid of premium without the sport, so many of us are only paying a premium for the super sport.
The rest of the channels and shows are C grade or lower, many at least 20 to 40 years old. I have Netflix streaming at 4K and Amazon slightly lower.