South Africans can now return to countries where they live

Dave

Honorary Master
My sister checked and SA is being classified as risky, perhaps because we haven't peaked yet ? Its quite hilarious as Canada still has way more daily infections and deaths... so the irony is strong.
More likely they know the SA stats should really be in the Fiction section of the local library.

richjdavies

How did you manage to even get a flight are they not all cancelled and airports closed ??
All those flights are probably not going anywhere when not official repat flights; but they will happily take your money and take an age to refund you.

If you look on kayak there are all kinds of things you can BOOK/PAY for but doesnt mean it will fly!

JurgensBeMe

Finally they can all go back to Europe... Wait. What?
If the europeans would only just take us back.

Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced that certain groups of South Africans will be allowed to return to other countries where they are based.
Seriously WTF does this mean? South Africans return to the country were they are based? Am I going from South Africa back to South Africa (Where I'm based). The person who writes Aaron's peaches must go back and get his matriek.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Sorry for the late reply. I don't get notifications from the myBB app. View attachment 847161
Knowing the government for rejecting anything that isn't verbatim to their liking, might be helpful for other forum users in a similar position if your buddy could share the format for the "logistical arrangements" your buddy proposed, minus the personal details, for the travel request.

ItHurtsWhenIP

Sorry for the late reply. I don't get notifications from the myBB app. View attachment 847161
Thank you very much for this.

I am trying to figure out a way to get out of SA in July since I am studying abroad. I can study online until August but need to attend lectures in September. I can get proof from the university that I am an enrolled student with tuition all paid for this semester but I don't know how I can obtain a letter from the embassy since I don't have a student visa as yet (university will help get it once we are in the country).

Georgios

Knowing the government for rejecting anything that isn't verbatim to their liking, might be helpful for other forum users in a similar position if your buddy could share the format for the "logistical arrangements" your buddy proposed, minus the personal details, for the travel request.
I can try get it but what he informed was that his company that he works for which is Cathay Pacific, they made an agreement with Qatar airways to do the flight out to Doha. He then has all the paperwork from his company that he attached and sent to the email address.

Georgios

I can try get it but what he informed was that his company that he works for which is Cathay Pacific, they made an agreement with Qatar airways to do the flight out to Doha. He then has all the paperwork from his company that he attached and sent to the email address.
To add to this, my mate had to provide proof that resides in HK and proof he works from HK. Studying abroad I am not sure how this will affect you as I am not sure where you would reside and 'work'.

kalongbat

Just wow. This is absolutely pathetic. Does Government enjoy ruining peoples lives? I hope someone with the means takes this to court.

https://www.da.org.za/2020/06/gover...lines-repatriating-sa-citizens-landing-rights

Government allegedly refusing international airlines repatriating SA citizens landing rights
Issued by Darren Bergman MP and Alf Lees MP –
05 Jun 2020 in News

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has written to the Ministers of Public Enterprises and International Relations and Cooperation, Pravin Gordhan and Naledi Pandor, to request clarity on allegations that South African authorities are refusing landing rights to international airlines that are repatriating South African citizens.
South Africans who have been stranded abroad were finally and with great relief set to return home today from Amsterdam, the Netherlands, on a KLM Royal Dutch Airlines flight (TB8701) however, they have been informed that the flight is not cleared to land in South Africa.
We have also received reports that two Ethiopian Airline flights have not been allowed to take off to land in South Africa due to not being given the necessary permission.
The theory being bandied about is that South African authorities have allegedly unilaterally decided that the bankrupt SAA should be given preference for international flights repatriating citizens to South Africa. As a consequence, there are reports that foreign airlines that are transporting South Africans home, may be refused landing rights in South Africa this weekend. This could potentially create a knock-on effect for foreign citizens currently in South Africa who want to return to their home countries.
The DA questions why South African citizens abroad are being abandoned in favour of what seems to be an attempt to give a monopoly status to the SAA vanity project as well as a likely lucrative agency contract with a well-connected cadre.
The DA submitted written parliamentary questions to SAA to obtain full details of all its repatriation flights during the Covid-19 pandemic. The replies to these questions have not been received despite the deadline for the submission of the replies to Parliament having passed.
Rumours are rife that massive funds being paid for SAA repatriation flights and that much of the funds do not get to SAA. It is alleged that the citizen repatriation flights may have become a lucrative operation for middlepersons. Instead of the revenue derived from these flights being paid directly to SAA, the payments apparently get channeled through DIRCO.
The DA seeks clarity on these allegations as it is inconceivable that the government would risk the interest of our people in order to once again benefit the pockets of ANC cadres.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Just wow. This is absolutely pathetic. Does Government enjoy ruining peoples lives? I hope someone with the means takes this to court.
It certainly does seem that way

For the record .... I am not coming back to SA unless forced.

Georgios

My same mate that eventually did leave on Qatar, tried to leave a month before that in May. Him, his wife and 2 year old were in the bus full of passengers on the way to the aircraft. They got stopped and were refused to get on the aircraft. All the passengers were denied exit.

Dave

Honorary Master
Ja, but he's a bit of a loser, so good riddance
He got out successfully, so the naysayers here who wanted out should probably have tried to get on the UK flights, considering the problems getting out has now become (with the news the SA govt refusing to allow foreign airline flights to land in SA).