South Africans could lose their insurance by changing their mobile number

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Small clarification, this is if you insure your phone through the rip-off insurance that cell phone providers offer....

Or at least thats how I read the article.
Must be, my insurer (Santam) required no info about the SIM, just device details like make and model and IMEI number/s.

Pitbull

Verboten
Geesus, wtf is wrong with the Ombudsman man? Have they lost their minds? You insure an ITEM for which you have the IMEI number. What number or sim is in there is completely irrelevant.

I think the Ombudsman needs a clean-up. Seems like the people there don't have a farking clue!

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
This sentence is nonsensical. By definition porting involves KEEPING your number, not changing it.
You have to change the sim card when you port. The article mentions either a number or sim change.

Swa

Honorary Master
Same applies to the guarantee. Just simply check your insurance but if it's 3rd party it won't be the case.

You have to change the sim card when you port. The article mentions either a number or sim change.
This makes no sense "Ayanda Mazwi, a senior assistant Ombudsman, said that simply changing a number (through porting) could invalidate a claim for the damage, loss or theft of a phone."

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Geesus, wtf is wrong with the Ombudsman man? Have they lost their minds? You insure an ITEM for which you have the IMEI number. What number or sim is in there is completely irrelevant.

I think the Ombudsman needs a clean-up. Seems like the people there don't have a farking clue!
Read the comments.

Your Vodacom insurance contract will say that the SIM must be the one in the device. You agree to the terms. The ombud can’t override that.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

I think this relates to possibly insurance through a provider, and if you move to a different provider the insurance may have contract terms that require the phone to be used on their network only or something random.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
yes, but you dont change the IMEI number of the phone when you do a port or change sim cards. You dont insure the phone based on the Sim card thats in there, or the number that is attached to it

Edit: If you insure through a network provider, then the sim card that is attached to the phone should be active and in the phon when claiming.

If you insuring through any other insurance companies, that wouldnt apply. Only issue is, that if you get a new phone, and that goes missing, stolen etc, and you havent notified them of the new phone, then you cant claim

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master

correct
welcome to africa

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
yes, but you dont change the IMEI number of the phone when you do a port or change sim cards. You dont insure the phone based on the Sim card thats in there, or the number that is attached to it

Edit: If you insure through a network provider, then the sim card that is attached to the phone should be active and in the phon when claiming.

If you insuring through any other insurance companies, that wouldnt apply. Only issue is, that if you get a new phone, and that goes missing, stolen etc, and you havent notified them of the new phone, then you cant claim

No idea on the logic behind that requirement, only stating what is in the article.

Pitbull

Verboten
I think this relates to possibly insurance through a provider, and if you move to a different provider the insurance may have contract terms that require the phone to be used on their network only or something random.
That I can understand, but the Ombudsman is suppose to fix the industry side of it, not penalize the client. They should be ruling in the client's favor in these cases as the insurable interest is the device itself. Has farkall to do with the sim or network. The clause in those contract should be deemed invalid by the Ombudsman... Not enforced.

Pitbull

Verboten
Read the comments.

Your Vodacom insurance contract will say that the SIM must be the one in the device. You agree to the terms. The ombud can’t override that.
Which is completely retarded as the device itself is being insured. The Ombudsman has a responsibility to stop this kind of k@k, yet they are now enforcing it...

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Which is completely retarded as the device itself is being insured. The Ombudsman has a responsibility to stop this kind of k@k, yet they are now enforcing it...
Yeah, we insure a device, not a damn sim card, why the hell do they care what sim is in there with what number.

Edit: Should one also inform them if one adds a second sim in the phone?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
It's the conditions of the contract, if you don't like it make them change premium or choose someone else to ensure with.

EDIT: I need to see if you have complained about nanny state stuff anywhere, because that's nanny state thinking you display.

Pitbull

Verboten
It's the conditions of the contract, if you don't like it make them change premium or choose someone else to ensure with.

EDIT: I need to see if you have complained about nanny state stuff anywhere, because that's nanny state thinking you display.
No it's not. You do know why the Ombudsman and the FSB is/was created in the first place right? Unscrupulous dealings in the financial sector, and this is a prime example of it. I need to go and see if you complained about illegal processes/contracts in general...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No it's not. You do know why the Ombudsman and the FSB is/was created in the first place right? Unscrupulous dealings in the financial sector, and this is a prime example of it. I need to go and see if you complained about illegal processes/contracts in general...
But this is not unscrupulous, in my opinion. Whenever I have been offered that insurance and asked questions I found out about this SIM card thing and I said, "no thanks, I'll insure it elsewhere", and that's that.

EDIT: It's not like they just add it to your contract unasked for or anything, that would be unscrupulousness. It's the same as your insurance requiring a tracking device and you not reading your policy and never fitting one and then when it's stolen you want to make a big fuss about it.

Last edited:

Pitbull

Verboten
But this is not unscrupulous, in my opinion. Whenever I have been offered that insurance and asked questions I found out about this SIM card thing and I said, "no thanks, I'll insure it elsewhere", and that's that.

EDIT: It's not like they just add it to your contract unasked for or anything, that would be unscrupulousness. It's the same as your insurance requiring a tracking device and you not reading your policy and never fitting one and then when it's stolen you want to make a big fuss about it.
I have been in the finance industry and dealing with insurance for close to a decade. This is the first time I have ever heard of this shyte. No client ANYWHERE including you will ask about the sim and network. I don't buy it

Tracking device being a requirement needs to need disclosed to the client, so no, it's not the same thing