South Africans hit by Telkom contract fraud

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
South Africans hit by Telkom contract fraud

Numerous South Africans have been hit by Telkom contract fraud and unauthorised debit orders that have been taken out on their names.

MyBroadband received a flood of complaints from people who have been hit by this type of crime after a report on fraudulent Telkom SmartBroadband Wireless LTE contracts.

Victims reported that Telkom contracts had been taken out on their names without their permission and that debit orders had subsequently gone off on their bank accounts.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It's one thing to get someone's personal info like their name and ID number, but how do they manage to get your bank details as well for the debit order mandate?

elriconess

It's one thing to get someone's personal info like their name and ID number, but how do they manage to get your bank details as well for the debit order mandate?
Remember peoples information from the bureau that leaked?

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Remember peoples information from the bureau that leaked?
Never mind that, there are a bunch of municipalities with their data leaking as we speak. It takes less than 5 minutes to get someone else's bill which you can present as "proof of residence". Setting up a bot to siphon off a bunch would be child's play.
Given @Newsfeed isn't interested in running the story I may as well.

Last edited:

Death

I think it's because the users have existing Telkom accounts and are being appended onto those accounts which they already have my Debit Order details for. But the fraudster walks off with the brand new devices etc.

Blu82

Expert Member
I have had a couple of SIM cards tacked on to my Telkom account that I did not procure in any way.

Happy Days

I suspect that they will find that most/all of it was done with internal staff colluding.

Johand

Expert Member
According to the operator, it had already addressed four of the six cases MyBroadband raised and said that customers had been kept updated on their respective cases, contrary to what the readers told MyBroadband.

So wondering if the kept the customers up to date or the fraudsters :unsure:

Good luck to them. Dealing with Telkom accounts is a nightmare even if there were no fraud.

hol

I had to close my bank account to prevent debit orders since Telkom was doing nothing for months to investigate. Still listed at credit bearu as outstanding payments. ICASA able to resolve most (but not all issues). Telkom unprepared to share any info to enable me to open fraud case. Wonder how this sim was Rica'd?

Johand

Expert Member
Well the other thing to keep in mind is that the Telkom CEO did (*allegedly) falsify his car number plate and racked up R18,000 in fines against somebody else's name. So identity theft is embedded in the organisation from the top (*allegedly).

Still need to understand how he managed to get the charges dropped.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
This is karma for the folks that choose Telkom.
These are contract customers, but being on prepaid with Telkom for 10+ years, I've had minimal issues.
2 Telkom sims in my phone. 1 Fixed LTE service. I keep sane by waiting out any signal or connection issues. Their contact center has rude and condescending agents. I will rip them through the phone, that's how angry I get at their tone and could give a fk attitude.