South Africans in video games?

rambo919

Honorary Master

Note the creative liberty taken with the "slaves"

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Why are so many mercs in games Afrikaans okes? We're not that bad are we?

Simple: Back in the 80's SA had one of the best military forces that grinded to a halt in the 90's when SA withdraw from South West Africa (Namibia). Loads of the Reccies and other well trained military personnel had no where to go and a skill set that not for every day life.

Some if not most joined American security companies that where basically "guns for hire" and some continued to fight on sides inside Africa whith whom they sided with. Seeing that they where special forces with loads of training they became well known around the world and a Hollywood Trope.

I know of a few that followed the American Security company route, and some that even died because of it.

wbot

Executive Member
Just found another South African (character). Donovan Hock in Mass Effect 2's Kasumi mission. Heavy Afrikaans accent even though it's a Canadian voice actor.

And yet another baddie.

Last edited:

Bighit

Expert Member
Not a South African, but Dirt 5 has a South African theme. The roads have elements of truth in it, like the road down from Lions head.

Gyre

Expert Member
Soldier of Fortune had a South African villain

Years ago, Sergei was a colonel in apartheid-era South Africa, and part of Project Kraal: A top secret program that produced 7 nuclear weapons in South Africa. Although intended to provide deterrence against its regional neighbors, Dekker planned to use them to gain leverage against the UN and lift the embargoes.

1628713487484.png

StoneCold

Expert Member
I remember Ghost Recon Future Soldier also had a mission where you had to infilitrate a camp of mercenaries. All of their callouts were in Afrikaans and a real surprise for me back in the day when I played it :)

VooDooC

Expert Member
Just found another South African (character). Donovan Hock in Mass Effect 2's Kasumi mission. Heavy Afrikaans accent even though it's a Canadian voice actor.

And yet another baddie.

That accent was horrible, some times it sounds like he's trying to mix a bunch of different European accents into one.

Best Afrikaans in a game was in Worms :p

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
The original Syphon Filter on the PS1 had a South African character

Image result for Lawrence Mujari

Dr. Lawrence "Larry" Mujari is an old friend of Teresa Lipan and makes his first appearance in Syphon Filter 2 and soon appeared in later Syphon Filter games. It is also revealed he is a veteran medical practitioner in bio-chemicals.
Nicknames: Larry
Born: Queenstown, South Africa, 1962
Nationality: South African
Height: 6'2"

wbot

Executive Member
That accent was horrible, some times it sounds like he's trying to mix a bunch of different European accents into one.

Best Afrikaans in a game was in Worms :p
Yeah it's not the best accent. Thought at first it was some Russian accent but the more he talked the more it sounded like Afrikaans.

Bst Afrikaans in a game imo is in Far Cry 2.

GreatWmR

Expert Member
Ajax from Black Ops 4 is South African
And apparently the new Battlefield has a South African
And there is one Operator in Rainbow 6 Siege
In Overwatch there was a mention of the "Cape Town Incident" and it might appear in Overwatch 2

rambo919

Honorary Master
Jagged Alliance Series

Has a hilarious feud with another merc, Blood

This one is more a bad joke than anything else

Bobbin

Executive Member
Jagged Alliance Series

Has a hilarious feud with another merc, Blood

This one is more a bad joke than anything else

Oh snap I was just posting about this as well, missed your post :) I really enjoyed the older Jagged Alliance series.

Pity it died after BiA.