• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

South Africans on Light's Hope, Lightbringer-Alliance (Vanilla WoW private server)

Hi,

This is a shout out to any South Africans who may be playing on the Lightbringer realm, Alliance, Light's Hope private Vanilla WoW server: https://lightshope.org/

If you are currently playing there already I'd like to hear from you. If you are a current WoW player but not satisfied with the retail version of the game, perhaps looking for some preparation towards WoW Classic (Which it would seem is probably a long ways away...) I'd also like to hear from you.

Last edited:

Weasley

Expert Member
Hi,

This is a shout out to any South Africans who may be playing on the Lightbringer realm, Alliance, Light's Hope private Vanilla WoW server: https://lightshope.org/

If you are currently playing there already I'd like to hear from you. If you are a current WoW player but not satisfied with the retail version of the game, perhaps looking for some preparation towards WoW Classic (Which it would seem is probably a long ways away...) I'd also like to hear from you.

The Lightbringer realm is currently on patch v 1.12.1 - Naxxramas. There is also a "fresh" realm launching shortly, which personally I will be giving a miss. The player population is very healthy, possibly a little over populated right now but I expect the fresh server launch to cull that number down which may not be such a bad thing. Performance wise, the server ping is a solid 180ms for me personally. Having played retail WoW vanilla before I can also tell you it is extremely close to being a very authentic experience. Of course, being a private server there is always the outside chance of it being shut down, and if this is enough to dissuade you, then just wait for retail classic. Personally though, I am having a blast.

If you are interested in getting started, you will need to create an account here : https://lightshope.org/create
This is the same account you will be using to logging on to the game. Downloading the game client is detailed here : https://forum.lightshope.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1020. Other helpful links are, vanilla WoW addons : https://legacy-wow.com/vanilla-addons/ (I highly recommend pfUI + Questie as a minimum); Vanilla WoW db : https://classicdb.ch/, guide on enhancing Vanilla WoW graphics : https://youtu.be/VfDRVj57DwM

If there is enough interest, we can even start talk about creation of a South African guild. My nickname ingame is "Vatie", Alliance. You can ping me ingame or respond here if interested.
I am also playing there. We should start a South African themed Guild. :D

Scary_Turtle

I few things wrong with this post.

1. Alliance.
2. Alliance.
3. Alliance.
4. BTC and wrath were the best 2 versions of WOW.
5. Warmane pretty much has the best private servers available plus they have been around for 10 years. Ping ranges from 150-200.
6. Overpopulated at 2k people isn't really a thing, at 12k people you start to notice people around you.

Just messing around but seriously "For the Horde". :D

I few things wrong with this post.

1. Alliance.
2. Alliance.
3. Alliance.
4. BTC and wrath were the best 2 versions of WOW.
5. Warmane pretty much has the best private servers available plus they have been around for 10 years. Ping ranges from 150-200.
6. Overpopulated at 2k people isn't really a thing, at 12k people you start to notice people around you.

Just messing around but seriously "For the Horde". :D
I remember reading somewhere that Blizzard aims for their realms to have around 1K concurrent players on average per realm. On weekdays I often see around 2.5K concurrent players on Light's Hope, weekends 4-5K at peak. Walking around in Stormwind you really notice that there are far more players than you see in retail in the capital citites. So by Blizzard standards it certainly is overpopulated. That said, Blizzard has the resources to just spin up more and more realms. Lights Hope is financed by donations.

As for BTC and Wrath being the 2 best versions of the game, I loved those versions of the game too, probably as much as I did Vanilla. But the Vanilla scripting has been more polished on private servers when compared to WOTLK and BTC.

LOL@Horde.

Stillie

Expert Member
im starting the download now, when to the Create link and get a 404 but i see maintenance is on wednesdays so i will try again tomorrow. i wish more people will seed it as i am getting max 100kbps

Weasley

Expert Member
im starting the download now, when to the Create link and get a 404 but i see maintenance is on wednesdays so i will try again tomorrow. i wish more people will seed it as i am getting max 100kbps
as far as i know they where doing some merges of servers of older servers. and there is a fresh server starting soon.

Stillie

Expert Member
as far as i know they where doing some merges of servers of older servers. and there is a fresh server starting soon.
yea i figured something like this, i managed to download the launcher will try it tonight and see how it goes

ive never really played wow because of the whole monthly cost BS but this sounds interesting because im cheap like that lol

https://status.lightshope.org/ ... It looks like the merging process is taking alot longer than they had expected. Looking at this update
: Update 6 - 21:34
The merge is currently 815581 / 3069739 (Characters merged - 26.57% ) - We estimate that Lightbringer (merged) will be back online in approximately 22 hours provided that the merge script successfully merged the realms.

So best case we looking around 7/8pm tonight for them to be done (conveniently server time is the same as SA time). BTW, this isn't the norm with maintenance. It is only because they're merging realms which is a once off deal.

yea i figured something like this, i managed to download the launcher will try it tonight and see how it goes

ive never really played wow because of the whole monthly cost BS but this sounds interesting because im cheap like that lol
Personally this hasn't been my issue with WoW, I have subscribed for many years. But they moved the game into a direction which I just do not enjoy, and therefore I find more enjoyment in private servers where they emulate the older versions of the game. When retail vanilla classic launches, and provided they don't stuff it up by introducing features like LFR (I doubt they will but hey), I'll happily go back to retail.

poffle

Executive Member
Yep played on Nostalrius, then Elysium, then lights hope.. but i am in a timezone that is horrible for these servers so there is literally 0 chance of me ever getting to raid with a guild, so i gave up.

Still have my 60 NE hunter on LH though. My mate has a 60 mage. One thing, elysium is busy with their TBC expansion, lights hope is just merging stuff to stop the fragmentation of player base. I saw people were seriously pissed off with LH for removing PVE realms, but had to be done.

And fresh realms. oh god. Not again. Level up to 60 AGAIN and go through the slow ass patch releases. Sorry but once you hit 1.12 with actually a wide variety of items, i just can't go back to Pre-bis MC loot.

Yep played on Nostalrius, then Elysium, then lights hope.. but i am in a timezone that is horrible for these servers so there is literally 0 chance of me ever getting to raid with a guild, so i gave up.

Still have my 60 NE hunter on LH though. My mate has a 60 mage. One thing, elysium is busy with their TBC expansion, lights hope is just merging stuff to stop the fragmentation of player base. I saw people were seriously pissed off with LH for removing PVE realms, but had to be done.

And fresh realms. oh god. Not again. Level up to 60 AGAIN and go through the slow ass patch releases. Sorry but once you hit 1.12 with actually a wide variety of items, i just can't go back to Pre-bis MC loot.
what timezone would that be? i find it to be quite active in the evenings SA time because of the large number of europeans playing there... and yeah im also not interested in fresh. alot of people that ive spoken to ingame also dont seem interested.

poffle

Executive Member
what timezone would that be? i find it to be quite active in the evenings SA time because of the large number of europeans playing there... and yeah im also not interested in fresh. alot of people that ive spoken to ingame also dont seem interested.
Utc +8.so 6 hours ahead of SA, by the time it's bed time the Europeans start logging haha. Unfortunate as I love wow. Wish lightshope would do TBC.. But I think at this rate I'll wait for blizzard classic

Oraksman

Hey Guys... I'm a newbie that's about to WoW but I'm not sure if there'll be enough players online to go up against :confused:

Weasley

Expert Member
Hey Guys... I'm a newbie that's about to WoW but I'm not sure if there'll be enough players online to go up against :confused:
there is a new realm that has a lot of people playing on it. even Lightbringer is not super busy i find that you can do pvp bg at level 60 at there is dungeons and raids being done. usually when i am on there is between 400 and 1200 people online on the alliance side