South Africans warned not to wear gloves and masks during lockdown

zoozi

45 out of 60 people positive. They weren't all standing within 2 meters of the infected person/s. Point is it is aerosolised.
Get out of here with that logic. Don't you know this ridiculously infectious virus is spread by people coughing directly in each other's faces and touching contaminated surfaces? /s

zoozi

Yes you did:
1 meter is no good, those droplets float for up to 3 meters, and further if there is air movement.

According to many scientific studies.
Yet now you give the impression that you aren't responsible.
So basically you aren't a medical professional, but you are giving medical advice, and dissing peeps that do not agree with you, the WHO and others. And then further, you tell people that do not agree with you, or who question you, that they are making fools of themselves?

OK. :unsure:

You display idiotic behavior, but I forgive you.
:)
Didn't happen. Promise.

You are just a passionate person who got carried away.

Love you lots!

--Ronswanson
You sure you're not the idiot?

"Lydia Bourouiba, an associate professor at MIT, has researched the dynamics of exhalations (coughs and sneezes, for instance) for years at The Fluid Dynamics of Disease Transmission Laboratory and found exhalations cause gaseous clouds that can travel up to 27 feet." (8.2metres)
Her research could have implications for the global COVID-19 pandemic, though measures called for by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization call for six and three feet of space, respectively."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/

"Given various combinations of an individual patient’s physiology and environmental conditions, such as humidity and temperature, the gas cloud and its payload of pathogen-bearing droplets of all sizes can travel 23 to 27 feet (7-8 m).3,4 Importantly, the range of all droplets, large and small, is extended through their interaction with and trapping within the turbulent gas cloud, compared with the commonly accepted dichotomized droplet model that does not account for the possibility of a hot and moist gas cloud."
Turbulent Gas Clouds and Respiratory Pathogen EmissionsPotential Implications for Reducing Transmission of COVID-19
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852?appId=scweb

"The half-lives of SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV-1 were similar in aerosols, with median estimates of approximately 1.1 to 1.2 hours and 95% credible intervals of 0.64 to 2.64 for SARS-CoV-2 and 0.78 to 2.43 for SARS-CoV-1"
Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

"“The idea of getting a much more broad, community-wide use of masks outside of the health care setting is under very active discussion at the task force. The CDC group is looking at that very carefully,” Fauci told CNN."
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/public-wearing-masks-coronavirus-anthony-fauci-cnntv/index.html

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
Yes, I am sure. None of what you have quoted happen under normal circumstances.
All of the quoted information is perfectly normal and happens all of the time.

#Masks4All

Masks must be made compulsory.

I protect you, you protect me.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
What exactly does not happen? You telling me people don't sneeze and cough? :rolleyes:
Into their sleeves? Would a normal person have one and use it?

This is tedious and childish, I do not see the need to discuss it further. We are not going to change one another's minds, and you're going to keep providing extreme examples of where droplets / particles / nuclei temporarily defy the laws of physics.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Jaaks

So to put this to rest. Think about it. Why do health care workers wear masks?
To protect them AND their patients.
Next....
Why are we discouraged to wear masks.?
Because there is a limited supply and if the masses wore masks then there would most likely be a shortage in hospitals. This has been admitted by many worldwide organisations. Its that simple.
Manufacture/buy some form of decent mask and wear the damn thing if you are moving amongst other people.
Have some respect and care a little about the fellow humans around you.
#Masks4All

semaphore

Honorary Master
Into their sleeves? Would a normal person have one and use it?
If only humans were that conditioned it would be fine, but alas it's not the case and even during this pandemic people are not even doing it.

This is tedious and childish, I do not see the need to discuss it further. We are not going to change one another's minds, and you're going to keep providing extreme examples of where droplets / particles / nuclei temporarily defy the laws of physics.
You call it extreme, I call it your lack of understanding.

And before you knit pick that study was for H1N1, realise that the sars-cov2 is more pathogenic.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Agreed.

Cray

Honorary Master

#Masks4All

Masks must be made compulsory.

I protect you, you protect me.
So, do all shops actually have stock of masks?

Jola

Honorary Master
Fortunately many authorities overseas are starting to understand this, and new rules are being introduced.

Save this page if you don't believe me.

Within a few weeks masks wil be compulsory in most countries.

BTW the Taiwanese are making 10m masks per day right now. Others much more.

In Korea they sell masks for USD0.17. Bulk purchases will be much cheaper.

For the cost of a few BEE Lamborghinis the SA Government can supply everyone in SA with a few masks.

Or you can make your own. Even a dishcloth works, and a folded Buff is excellent. Check YouTube.

Jola

Honorary Master
So, do all shops actually have stock of masks?
No problem, make your own, bandana, buff, dishcloth, underpants, t-shirts, whatever suits your fancy.

Just not too thin.

Your imagination is your friend.

Even the worst masks are 50% effective, the best DIY masks are similar to N95 medical mask.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No problem, make your own, bandana, buff, dishcloth, underpants, t-shirts, whatever suits your fancy.

Just not too thin.

Your imagination is your friend.
Just post a picture here afterward so I can get some comic relief.

Jola

Honorary Master
BTW, I believe that some of the local hospitals have recruited bored ladies to sew medical masks for them.

If they can do it, so can you !

Markd

So if it helps to spread the virus then why the fuk are all the health workers wearing masks and gloves? hmm?? come on dudes >.<

Cray

Honorary Master
So if it helps to spread the virus then why the fuk are all the health workers wearing masks and gloves? hmm?? come on dudes >.<
A lot of those masks are one use, they wear them and then dispose of them, same with surgical gloves. Am assuming they mean if people re-use disposable masks then there could be an issue.

Jola

Honorary Master
I have seen some really nice masks handmade by a lady in Belville, selling for R100 for 4.

Even has a pocket for additional filtering material.

Look and you will find, or make yourself.