South Africans will see red if Eskom increases prices

McT

The Humble Scot!
I am not sure about seeing the colour "red", but it will hurt the poorest most if the hike isn't cushioned in basic essentials and food.

For the rest, yes it will hurt, but also force many to review their consumption of the commodity and/or find new ways to get off the grid. This will reduce their revenue and compound the problem. A vicious cycle with potentially dire consequences.

gfmalan

Expert Member
Who cares, definitely they don't...

We can jump up and down, scream, cry, sell our kidneys, nothing would change.
The people that's suppose to serve us, think we are there for them...

No one listen, and if they do, they don't care.

Beachless

Executive Member
I am not sure about seeing the colour "red", but it will hurt the poorest most if the hike isn't cushioned in basic essentials and food.

For the rest, yes it will hurt, but also force many to review their consumption of the commodity and/or find new ways to get off the grid. This will reduce their revenue and compound the problem. A vicious cycle with potentially dire consequences.
The tanking rand is a bit of a problem though, its made going off grid considerably more expensive again.

Pilgrim

Wugger
The tanking rand is a bit of a problem though, its made going off grid considerably more expensive again.
One wonders if this was planned?

Joking aside yes, this does bring off-grid back inline with their extortion prices :mad:

Heebs

I hope Zim is paying for those 300MW we're supplying them !!!!!

How much does Soweto owe right now???

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Who cares, definitely they don't...

We can jump up and down, scream, cry, sell our kidneys, nothing would change.
The people that's suppose to serve us, think we are there for them...

No one listen, and if they do, they don't care.
They really should be caring to some degree though...

I am not planning on going completely off grid just yet, but at least half my consumption for the property will be going off-grid sooner rather than later.... and I think many more residential customers are looking at it.

oober

Expert Member
At current prices and consumption Eskom would need to raise the price with 50% to R1.80/kWh for me to consider buying bigger lithium batteries.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
At current prices and consumption Eskom would need to raise the price with 50% to R1.80/kWh for me to consider buying bigger lithium batteries.

Be happy you're not in CT. Pricing here is already over R1.8 KWhr
I'm happy I'm offgrid here ;)

angotull

Wait wait wait.

We are told to reduce usage so that the grid can stabalise, but now - "Eskom said the shortfall in revenue was primarily due to lower than anticipated electricity demand."

Se were going to be penalised for doing exactly that? What the actual F$%^