South Africans with money troubles are cutting back on DStv and airtime

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
South Africans with money troubles are cutting back on DStv and airtime

Old Mutual has released its Savings and Investment Monitor report for 2019, which measured the spending behaviour of South African consumers over the last year.

The study collates data from 1,000 interviews amongst employed South Africans living in major metropolitan areas and sorts the results by income brackets.

Rabobi

Executive Member
if that's all you are cutting back on, then you are doing A-OK! and stop moaning. Spare a thought for those who have to choose between eating and paying rent.
First world problems

Thor

Honorary Master
Can confirm the airitme side of things.

Sales are down, exponentially.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
When living in the 3rd world. So it's the usual case of people living above their means
Gonna disagree there. When I first started working, I had to rent a place that I couldn't really afford, as the places within budget were more dangerous than fallujah in 2006. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of only living where you can afford in SA.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Gonna disagree there. When I first started working, I had to rent a place that I couldn't really afford, as the places within budget were more dangerous than fallujah in 2006. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of only living where you can afford in SA.
Well what you have there is not actually a first world problem. :ROFL:

Baise

South African's being responsible for a change. Years ago Lever Bros. did a survey on why basic cleaning product sales were being affected and it was due to cell phones / airtime. At least now they getting priorities right

clickingbuttons

I doubt every working person in SA just started working.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I doubt every working person in SA just started working.
I was responding to the post that people are living above their means. Just to highlight, that you don't always have a choice to go beyond your means.

Look, I'm not advocating living in Bryanston, when there is more affordable and sufficientlysafe areas around, but there is some things to keep in mind.

clickingbuttons

My parents, who are somewhat well to do, also have decided to cut back on their DSTV subscription. They peg it down to the price and quality of content. My dad mentioned that he is tired of watching the same show over and over again. Also, I got him started with IPTV and I guess that must have added to his decision.

I have never had DSTV myself.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
R900 a month is a heck of a lot of money for TV. That's a decent food budget or a tank and a half of fuel.

If you are smart, you can use little airtime. Don't be making long voice calls on the red and yellow networks.

hungrymamba

Expert Member
Didn't even have to have money troubles to cut Dstv. Uncapped Fibre is much more fun with Amazon Prime and Netflix - and piracy of course. Occasionally when I have to watch sports (rugby, football, F1) , I ask my friend to 'lend' me his DSTV Now log-in credentials... My parents struggled so I don't have to struggle... Life is good.

Crowley

Executive Member
We just upgraded our DSTV package. Rugby world cup is coming and I'm not going to be stuck with clicking on random links and hoping that they work. That is if Rain decides to work that day.