South Africa's banking apps rated

Cius

Executive Member
The new Nedbank app is a massive improvement on the old one I must say. I use it a lot more now that it is so user friendly.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
FNB's app might not look "cool" but it does everything well and is simple to use.

12/10 from me.

furpile

Expert Member
@rpm why is @Bradley Prior still posting articles if he posts trash like this? How do you allow this to be approved?
What for a methodology is getting the score from the Play Store and App store, summing and dividing by two? That means absolutely nothing.

I like the FNB app on Android as I can do NFC payments, which can't be done on iOS (Apple limitation, 3rd party apps are not allowed to access the hardware). The requirement to pay an EFT on the specific device to get trusted status is annoying though, I rarely EFT, should be so I can set it to verified device after maybe 2 weeks of first log-in.
I can customize the home screen shortcuts, there's a search feature for stuff I use rarely (e.g. upping the card limit) and works fine on Android.

Meanwhile I'd penalize the Nedbank app not for being a bad app (haven't really used it), but because you can only get an OTP via SMS. Otherwise the new app is pretty good.

Standard Bank's app is atrocious, laggy PoS and at launch was missing the options to set up scheduled EFT (maybe it has it now?), so is the Absa one (probably takes the cake for worst experience, getting an SMS to confirm the ). Only know the Android experience though, and it seems the rating reflect that.

@rpm this article should rather have been Bradley using each app to do a set number of tasks, open up the cheapest bank accounts with each and see how it goes, or ask people in the office to help out.

E.g. this Discord comment even has a "better" idea for an average:
View attachment 695505
Though isn't that great either.
This is very pedantic, but how do you get a weighted average of 3.3 for Nedbank if the individual scores were 4.2 and 4.5? Maybe he shouldn't trust online calculators. The weighted average would be 4.3, still placing Nedbank at the top.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Spam is part of life, through truecalled blocks it.

I must say capitec users have by far the most time on there hands they stand at atm line for 2 hours each month to save R4 to get money from capitec atm and not the any other atm which have no line. They really have nothing better to do lol
Not anymore. You have to have a premium sub now.

Louis72

No real complaints with the functionality of either ABSA or Tyme apps...

ABSA could update the balances timeously, instead of 3 days later....makes auditing a lot easier.
The Tree bank I constantly found errors on statements, intermittent declined card transactions for no reason, slow notifications for transactions.

Thats where they have always been worth the price for me. Absa might not be the coolest or flashiest bank or the cheapest but their core banking platform is solid as a rock, biggest ATM network.

Statements always arrive like clockwork and debit orders and internal system charges run with military precision. You know a debit order will go off at 19:00 on the 1st not 3 days later only update.
Thats all you need from a bank?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
This is very pedantic, but how do you get a weighted average of 3.3 for Nedbank if the individual scores were 4.2 and 4.5? Maybe he shouldn't trust online calculators. The weighted average would be 4.3, still placing Nedbank at the top.
That was before they swapped it to the newer nedbank app I think.
The Tree bank I constantly found errors on statements, intermittent declined card transactions for no reason, slow notifications for transactions.

Thats where they have always been worth the price for me. Absa might not be the coolest or flashiest bank or the cheapest but their core banking platform is solid as a rock, biggest ATM network.

Statements always arrive like clockwork and debit orders and internal system charges run with military precision. You know a debit order will go off at 19:00 on the 1st not 3 days later only update.
Thats all you need from a bank?
Haven't had debit orders go off late or intermittent declined transactions? The only ones I can remember having issues within the last two years was when the card machine itself was having issues rather than card declined.

In terms of fraudulent transaction, what exactly where you doing to keep causing that? I'm seriously curious.

I've yet to see errors on my statements, were you there during the hand typed ones? :p
(but seriously, still curious as to what you were doing for the system to flag your stuff as fraud).

Louis72

you for effing real?
That was before they swapped it to the newer nedbank app I think.

Haven't had debit orders go off late or intermittent declined transactions? The only ones I can remember having issues within the last two years was when the card machine itself was having issues rather than card declined.

In terms of fraudulent transaction, what exactly where you doing to keep causing that? I'm seriously curious.

I've yet to see errors on my statements, were you there during the hand typed ones? :p
(but seriously, still curious as to what you were doing for the system to flag your stuff as fraud).
Wasnt fraud or disputed outside charges rather system ones for example a card replacement gets triggered yet it was a first issue card.
Lets not forget that issue just a month ago with peoples accounts where showing completely incorrect balances probably still didnt get the money back from some of those people or who can forget the safe deposit box robbery where people lost irreplaceable items?

Card delivery was slow took almost 2weeks. Granted you could use the temporary but why can others do it in 3days?

Then it was the charging of insufficient funds fee for transactions that declined because of unknown reason from a debit card. Statements that are emailed dont follow set patterns for example 19th of the month to the 19th of the following if you running multiple accounts and credit card this is important.

The issue with opening new accounts on the App explained in previous post. Once it was opened the inability to offer a “Combi card” or ATM card where all your accounts are available to be used instead sending a new separate one every time.

All this just give the impression that you are dealing with amateurs.

bobby_digital

Though I'm quite happy with FNB app, recently opened MyWorld account and must say I am impressed with the African Bank app.
Everything seems to be nicely organized and the ui flows quite smoothly. Much better than Capitec. I found Capitec navigation to be a bit clunky and app quite limited in modern features one would expect, I have since closed account there so moot point now :)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Wasnt fraud or disputed outside charges rather system ones for example a card replacement gets triggered yet it was a first issue card.
Lets not forget that issue just a month ago with peoples accounts where showing completely incorrect balances probably still didnt get the money back from some of those people or who can forget the safe deposit box robbery where people lost irreplaceable items?

Card delivery was slow took almost 2weeks. Granted you could use the temporary but why can others do it in 3days?

Then it was the charging of insufficient funds fee for transactions that declined because of unknown reason from a debit card. Statements that are emailed dont follow set patterns for example 19th of the month to the 19th of the following if you running multiple accounts and credit card this is important.

The issue with opening new accounts on the App explained in previous post. Once it was opened the inability to offer a “Combi card” or ATM card where all your accounts are available to be used instead sending a new separate one every time.

All this just give the impression that you are dealing with amateurs.
Went through my statements over the last year, two exceptions of the 12th being the date of the cheque account issue, both were public holidays I think, but was 13th or 14th.

Can understand the card issue, my mother recently had her purse stolen and tried to get Absa to replace the card, huge argument to get the card blocked for some reason, they only delivered after three weeks. Investec on the other hand was smooth, they didn't argue and just blocked the cards, new card issued and arrived within 3 days.

I think we all have different experiences, but Absa I've never really heard anything good in the last few years.

You might be interested in the FNB Android app, you can select what card you'd like to use for the NFC payment. Will be interesting if their NFC fitting of the ATM machines will make it so you can use the phone app.

Not sure what you mean by the first paragraph in regards to first issue trigger.

I don't remember hearing about that issue, but quick Google I assume you mean this https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/fnb-customers-have-money-deposited-into-their-accounts-by-accident-26695939
Whereby the people got extra money in their account?

Safety deposit boxes are a different issue, but I understand what you mean.

Louis72

Went through my statements over the last year, two exceptions of the 12th being the date of the cheque account issue, both were public holidays I think, but was 13th or 14th.

Can understand the card issue, my mother recently had her purse stolen and tried to get Absa to replace the card, huge argument to get the card blocked for some reason, they only delivered after three weeks. Investec on the other hand was smooth, they didn't argue and just blocked the cards, new card issued and arrived within 3 days.

I think we all have different experiences, but Absa I've never really heard anything good in the last few years.

You might be interested in the FNB Android app, you can select what card you'd like to use for the NFC payment. Will be interesting if their NFC fitting of the ATM machines will make it so you can use the phone app.

Not sure what you mean by the first paragraph in regards to first issue trigger.

I don't remember hearing about that issue, but quick Google I assume you mean this https://www.iol.co.za/business-report/companies/fnb-customers-have-money-deposited-into-their-accounts-by-accident-26695939
Whereby the people got extra money in their account?

Safety deposit boxes are a different issue, but I understand what you mean.
Currently using Apple mostly and Samsung galaxy Tablet. So NFC cant work not because of them but the Apple limitation.
Think If i did go that route would just get Samsung Pay works for FNB and Absa.

But I agree people do all have experiences at all of them. Look at the end of the day my opinion is that they are all scammy and rely on peoples ignorance/ lack of knowledge to charge them an arm and leg.

That being said since the early 2010’s Barclays has caused tremendous damage to Absa and they are way better since they left. They where restrictive on most fronts. The loan books where closed and innovation did slow down that is fact.

To answer your question about the cards.
When you open a new account they give you a temp card immediately and later they send the real one to you. This card is free because its the first one.

Later you find that the system mistakenly charges you the moment its activated. Then you have to phone hold for 30-40 mins to get an answer.

IkilledSpongebob

No real complaints with the functionality of either ABSA or Tyme apps...

ABSA could update the balances timeously, instead of 3 days later....makes auditing a lot easier.
I'm impressed with Tyme, but the app is missing functionality and some oddities.
It's hard to actually do some things completely online, so I've given up on some things like moving debit orders to Tyme. A few calls to their call centre reminded me why it's not a good idea to attempt any complex telephonic undertaking in this country. That may be true of any call centre employing dumb drones and using crappy voip.
Also they do not send you a monthly statement if you don't transact in that month. Never mind the fact that they add interest transactions in that month.
Which brings up another problem-no way to tell if the interest rate they advertise is the same as what you actually getting. The app provides no functionality to verify.
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Maybe it's me but I do not want to risk investing larger sums until they look good and stable

kabusi

I'm impressed with Tyme, but the app is missing functionality and some oddities.
It's hard to actually do some things completely online, so I've given up on some things like moving debit orders to Tyme. A few calls to their call centre reminded me why it's not a good idea to attempt any complex telephonic undertaking in this country. That may be true of any call centre employing dumb drones and using crappy voip.
Also they do not send you a monthly statement if you don't transact in that month. Never mind the fact that they add interest transactions in that month.
Which brings up another problem-no way to tell if the interest rate they advertise is the same as what you actually getting. The app provides no functionality to verify.
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. Maybe it's me but I do not want to risk investing larger sums until they look good and stable
I am the same.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
I haven't no. Only used FNB, ABSA & Discovery. Out of those 3 though ABSA is the winner for me, Discovery is getting there slowly

One thing annoys me about the Absa app. When trying to authorize a payment with the app, I sometimes get another random notification (like 'how to change pin') which blocks the authorization notice (accept or reject). Don't know how to get back to the notice when that happens so I have to wait 60 seconds and send another one.

Yeah, Discovery banking app is also a lot better now than a few months ago. They seem to be adding/improving features every week now. They launched with the app barely having any features enabled hence the low ratings.