South Africa's courts are suffering the after-effects of the DoJ ransomware attack

mylesillidge

Journalist
Bad news for South Africa's crippled courts

Ongoing problems with the Department of Justice's (DoJ) IT services following September's ransomware attack are causing chaos in magistrate courts and Master's offices throughout South Africa.

Earlier this month, the department released a statement indicating that it had "made strides in recovering from the ransomware attack that occurred in September 2021", but the problems are far from solved.

Danie_V

Heads need to roll for this as a severe warning to other departments.... I've long been worried that we have these policies as well as established security vulnerability centre etc and when it comes down it, there's smoke... People sit drawing salaries and putting month reports in, but there is no meaning and substance.

OkPlankton

Heads need to roll for this as a severe warning to other departments.... I've long been worried that we have these policies as well as established security vulnerability centre etc and when it comes down it, there's smoke... People sit drawing salaries and putting month reports in, but there is no meaning and substance.
Agree.

It was a never a matter of "IF" it always was "WHEN" SA departments start getting hacked.

grok

Honorary Master
No man accountability is only a thing in a western modality..

j4ck455

Executive Member
Two months of downtime and no end in sight, clearly there were no usable backups.

By now they should have backup imaged the infected storage (servers and at least some of the notebooks/desktops), wiped everything clean, and reinstalled key systems with all the updates they didn't bother doing before the ransomware.

As for the backup imaging of the ransomware encrypted data, just in case there is a glimmer of hope that they might one day be able to decrypt or otherwise recover some of the data.

It's not about doing any work, it's all about the overpaid government job and the title, preferably with "manager" thrown in somewhere, unfortunately the job titles don't include incompetent, lazy, fake qualifications, cadre deployment, etc.

Votes are expected in exchange for the government job and managerial title, doing actual work is not a requirement.

Slegdehammer67

This is the tip of the iceberg - for 27 years they, the ANC, have been too busy stealing and enriching themselves and neglected the rest of the structures completely. An implosion is on it's way here because 'all authority BUT no responsibility' has led them to this point.

I cannot help but to quote my German friend, Helmut here once again: 'Your time is up JA?'

mojoman

Expert Member
Jirrre, enough with the "tirelessly" k@k. Every time I see "tirelessly" my mind substitute it with "not" and then it all make sense.
When I see the word 'tirelessly' used, I can see them all sleeping under a tree....
....all day long...

mojoman

Expert Member
Two months of downtime and no end in sight, clearly there were no usable backups.

By now they should have backup imaged the infected storage (servers and at least some of the notebooks/desktops), wiped everything clean, and reinstalled key systems with all the updates they didn't bother doing before the ransomware.

As for the backup imaging of the ransomware encrypted data, just in case there is a glimmer of hope that they might one day be able to decrypt or otherwise recover some of the data.

It's not about doing any work, it's all about the overpaid government job and the title, preferably with "manager" thrown in somewhere, unfortunately the job titles don't include incompetent, lazy, fake qualifications, cadre deployment, etc.

Votes are expected in exchange for the government job and managerial title, doing actual work is not a requirement.
Fear not...I heard the IT head at SARS is consulting with DOJ...All will be fine...
download (2).jpg

AntiThesis

Executive Member
It's very possible that IT teams are working tirelessly to solve the problems. There will be 3rd party contractors who hold the actual maintenance side of the whole thing with "guidance" from internal IT. But since a Gov. department's idea of "backing up" is leaving tapes lying around in a big plastic bag, there's not a lot of hope for data being recovered.

Departments tend to *do* backups pretty religiously (it's quick, it's manual, it's rote) but they don't look after anything they back up. Unless they had a DR site set up somewhere which is doubtful.

Another favourite back up strategy is to run Veeam backups straight into the same physical rack.

mojoman

Expert Member
It's very possible that IT teams are working tirelessly to solve the problems. There will be 3rd party contractors who hold the actual maintenance side of the whole thing with "guidance" from internal IT. But since a Gov. department's idea of "backing up" is leaving tapes lying around in a big plastic bag, there's not a lot of hope for data being recovered.

Departments tend to *do* backups pretty religiously (it's quick, it's manual, it's rote) but they don't look after anything they back up. Unless they had a DR site set up somewhere which is doubtful.

Another favourite back up strategy is to run Veeam backups straight into the same physical rack.
Hopefully its not the same as the current gun licence issue...Supplier not been paid so all printing of cards has come to a standstill apparently....

j4ck455

Executive Member
Working tirelessly doing what exactly ?
Maybe it means that someone at the DoJ has a damaged tyre and doesn't have a spare, and eish the Google is pap at DoJ so they cannot Google for another tyre.

Fear not...I heard the IT head at SARS is consulting with DOJ...All will be fine...
View attachment 1173698
I would not be surprised if "protect me from yourself" is involved.