South Africa's COVID-19 contract tracing has failed to meet targets - Professor Madhi

Lupus

Honorary Master
anyone thinking the technology is spyware clearly has the technical understanding of a dead duck. Because its been taken apart and studied and the protocols its using have been studied ad nauseum.

The problem is however, its nonsense for 2 reasons;
1. It depends on the person who is infected to actually say so. How many people will do that?
2. Any bored 15-yr old with a phone can install it and mark themselves as infected while they hang out at the mall setting everyone's phones off after 10mins or so of proximity.

You will never have true contact tracing while people have a choice. Chip implants or some other form of bio-metric marking that is controlled by a 3rd-party would work. Like making everyone get a chip implanted (just something normal, not whatever nonsense conspiracy theorists dream up of) that tracks certain status about you including your ID. Then if you test positive for COVID-19 or other diseases, the data is pushed to the chip at next sync. You then simply force people to sync by mandating it for access to common public areas, or when traveling, or wherever else. If you build-in tap-to-pay into the chips too you are already moving people to "sync" themselves as well. A central system maintains global control of the data and we're sorted. At any second you know exactly who's infected and their movement.
But yeah, tech like this is just a dream for now.
Yup and to think you had a panic attack not to long ago when all 3 phones in your house went orange.
Now at least you're starting to see things a bit differently.

neoprema

Expert Member
Yup and to think you had a panic attack not to long ago when all 3 phones in your house went orange.
Now at least you're starting to see things a bit differently.
Panic attack? It was worse more like family mayhem lol.

Lupus

Honorary Master
What? You're making about as much sense as the average MAGA supporter.
If someone you know dies from say flu you would be as flippant about it. Or from a car crash or from anything. We live in a world where there is a lot that can kill you. This has a very small chance to do so.

Last edited:

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
If someone you know dies from say flu you wouldn't be as flippant about it. Or from a car crash or from anything. We live in a world where there is a lot that can kill you. This has a very small chance to do so.
Again, you're contradicting your last statement. You would or your wouldn't be flippant?

garp

Executive Member
World War Two had a similar mortality rate to COVID-19, so what was all the hullabaloo?
Not sure if you’re being serious. WW2 wiped out 3% of the world population. Covid-19 has killed 0.018% of the global population, 160x less than WW2, and that’s before you subtract the deaths with vs from it.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Not sure if you’re being serious. WW2 wiped out 3% of the world population. Covid-19 has killed 0.018% of the global population, 160x less than WW2, and that’s before you subtract the deaths with vs from it.
COVID-19 has already killed 1/60 of WW2 deaths in less than a year (which gets us to 10%) and its not done yet.

Seriously, this disease has potential to kill as many, of not more, than World War 2 - but you're happy to right it off as a sniffle. There's something very wrong with society if we can just view deaths exclusively as numbers.

Lupus

Honorary Master
COVID-19 has already killed 1/60 of WW2 deaths in less than a year (which gets us to 10%) and its not done yet.

Seriously, this disease has potential to kill as many, of not more, than World War 2 - but you're happy to right it off as a sniffle. There's something very wrong with society if we can just view deaths exclusively as numbers.
Covid has killed 1/75 of WW2 deaths, so in order for it to kill the same as WW2 it would need to ramp itself up here, I mean it's got 5 more years to kill 74 million people. Also the population sizes are a lot different nowadays, we're almost 4 times as many people on earth as there were during WW2.
So not sure where you're getting this fear from that this disease can kill more than WW2, not even the fabled Spanish flu killed as many people as WW2 did.
I may end up more than the Vietnam war?

Captain Underpants

Life is terminal!
Honestly, if this pandemic hasn't reared it's head by now it never will

garp

Executive Member

Come now, you must be trolling, right? It's killed 1/160th of WW2 deaths, but adjusted for population growth it would be more like 1/500th. So no, 1/500 let alone 1/60 does not get you anywhere close to WW2 levels, let alone 10%. In fact, the fact that you think 1/60 somehow equates to 10% is mathematically absurd. But then again, you're probably trolling and I shouldn't be feeding you.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Come now, you must be trolling, right? It's killed 1/160th of WW2 deaths, but adjusted for population growth it would be more like 1/500th. So no, 1/500 let alone 1/60 does not get you anywhere close to WW2 levels, let alone 10%. In fact, the fact that you think 1/60 somehow equates to 10% is mathematically absurd. But then again, you're probably trolling and I shouldn't be feeding you.
Actually it's 1/75 of WW2 deaths, but as you said adjusted it would be 1/300

newby_investor

Expert Member
It is, however, hypocritical to expect the government to resolve this pandemic and then turn around and refuse to provide any assistance to said government.
I don't think any rational South African expects much from the government now except to stuff things up.

The app in question is probably good, I haven't done any research myself. But I don't think it's reasonable for the government to expect South Africans as a whole to trust them.

Mr Ramaphosa's letter in News24 today concludes with this:
Even as most social and economic activity has resumed, we must still observe all the health measures. This is absolutely necessary if we are to rebuild our economy and put this crisis behind us.

If everyone actually took rational precautions (masks, hand sanitising, social distancing) then this pandemic would be so much of a non-issue that we could basically just go about our business and the government wouldn't need to do much.

But we insist on belly-aching about how we don't want to wear masks and yadda yadda. Drives me nuts.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I don't think any rational South African expects much from the government now except to stuff things up.

The app in question is probably good, I haven't done any research myself. But I don't think it's reasonable for the government to expect South Africans as a whole to trust them.

Mr Ramaphosa's letter in News24 today concludes with this:

If everyone actually took rational precautions (masks, hand sanitising, social distancing) then this pandemic would be so much of a non-issue that we could basically just go about our business and the government wouldn't need to do much.

But we insist on belly-aching about how we don't want to wear masks and yadda yadda. Drives me nuts.
You mean like their gatherings while they were politicking this weekend? Or like them as the ministers? How many government officials do you see wearing masks over their noses? I know it's hard to get your snout in the trough if it's covered but damn can't they at least wear it out and about.

garp

Executive Member
Actually it's 1/75 of WW2 deaths, but as you said adjusted it would be 1/300
Yes, I guess going by Wikipedia figures, although the official death counts from both WW2 and Covid-19 are open to interpretation. In any case, any mortality comparison of Covid-19 to WW2 is completely absurd.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes, I guess going by Wikipedia figures, although the official death counts from both WW2 and Covid-19 are open to interpretation. In any case, any mortality comparison of Covid-19 to WW2 is completely absurd.
It is absurd, comparing the deadliest war ever fought with a virus and one that's so far only shown to be twice as bad as a normal flu season.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Maybe if you'd lost grandparents to this disease you wouldn't be so flippant.

A plague a' your house.
Grandparents huh? So, pretty old. They were gonna die at some point, what would you have had a **** about if there was no covid to squawk at?

Hell, even if they was youngsters, you do get that 150 000 or so people die around the world every ****ing day? (less than 10k of that are covid)