South Africa's COVID-19 contract tracing has failed to meet targets - Professor Madhi

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
One thing you definitely did get right is the "semi" part.

noxibox

Honorary Master
It was created by one of the big 4 dev houses in South Africa, not Sipo's backyard outsourced grad developer.
What does who wrote a piece of software have to do with anything? The software and hardware Singapore uses to spy on its citizens and root out those who don't support the ruling party was also made by a highly regarded company.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Something like 3 million children die from malnutrition every year.

But we insist on belly-aching about how we don't want to wear masks and yadda yadda. Drives me nuts.
We don't. We correctly and legitimately question their efficacy. We correctly and legitimately raise the issues they cause wearers. We quite reasonably get annoyed with numpties who pretend they're tolerable for all people or to wear for hours on end, especially in hot conditions. But pro-mask nuts don't really give a damn about other people. They like to pretend people who have to remove them constantly are just trying to be difficult. They like to pretend that people who pull them down off their noses are assholes trying to be difficult. Drives me nuts.

Spoken like a soulless actuary. It's a sad reflection on the harsh reality of the South African experience.
You're obviously new to this planet.

Godwin's Law
Most people who refer to it don't even know what it says and thus use it wrongly.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
It's a sad reflection on the harsh reality of the South African experience.
No , its not, its a realistic pragmatic approach to the situation at hand.

People lose loved ones through disease all the time, often from preventable disease with known cures.
This is simply a new disease without a known cure yet.
Reality dictates that , yes, the possibility exists, we may, or may not lose loved ones.
There is nothing harsh in recognizing that reality in this situation.

When, and if, that occurs we will deal with it, but prempting what might happen or what could happen, playing what if scenarios, or being overly emotional about the risks and possibilities solves nothing, and just leads to unnecessary and unwarranted stress and anxiety in a difficult time.

newby_investor

Expert Member
We don't. We correctly and legitimately question their efficacy.
Asking questions is fine. Ignoring the answers isn't. The science is pretty clear on this. Masks are effective at reducing the spread of airborne diseases. Sure, not 100%, especially if not used properly, but if it reduces the rate of spread of the disease, then it can be considered to be working, and we should do it.

We correctly and legitimately raise the issues they cause wearers.
The only actual issue that I've encountered is that it makes people more difficult to understand, and if you already have trouble with accents, this can be a pain. But on the whole, this is minor.

We quite reasonably get annoyed with numpties who pretend they're tolerable for all people or to wear for hours on end, especially in hot conditions.
I wear a mask for hours on end in hot conditions.

Sure, I'd rather not be wearing a mask. But I'd also much rather that we can carry on with our lives more or less normally in the midst of a global pandemic, without ruining economies.

But pro-mask nuts don't really give a damn about other people.
As opposed to how many damns the anti-masks nuts give about other people?

They like to pretend people who have to remove them constantly are just trying to be difficult. They like to pretend that people who pull them down off their noses are assholes trying to be difficult. Drives me nuts.
People complain about "suffocating" with a mask. Bull****. Surgeons, for example, wear them for hours on end, when was the last time you heard about a surgeon having to be resuscitated from mask suffocation?

Look I understand. Masks are a different thing that people are not used to. It's an adjustment, that will bring some pains. If you're not used to having a piece of cloth across your face it can cause you more (mental) discomfort than you might expect (because I'm pretty damn sure there are vanishingly few cases where there would be actual physical problems caused by wearing a mask). But I totally get it. The discomfort sucks, whether it's mental or physical.

But that being said, I'd much rather wear a mask all day than sit at home all day under lockdown. I'm more than happy to endure a bit of personal discomfort if it gives someone's granny an opportunity to stick around a few more years, or gives someone's business a chance to stay open and their staff to get paid.

What really grinds my gears is that there are hundreds of other things one can complain about w.r.t. the COVID-19 pandemic, which are far more important.

PPE tender corruption.
Stupid lock-downs which do little to stop the spread, but destroy economies.
Arbitrary rules about not being able to sell open-toed shoes.
You name it.

But no. People pick masks, a simple, non-medical intervention which works when people just actually use them. Drives ME nuts.

peanutbunny

Grandparents huh? So, pretty old. They were gonna die at some point, what would you have had a **** about if there was no covid to squawk at?

Hell, even if they was youngsters, you do get that 150 000 or so people die around the world every ****ing day? (less than 10k of that are covid)
Exactly, my one grandparent died 10 years ago from some complication, another was on dialysis 2 years ago and died from the flu. The third died this year during peak covid but not from covid, died from an accident, And got one grandma remaining.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
No , its not, its a realistic pragmatic approach to the situation at hand.

People lose loved ones through disease all the time, often from preventable disease with known cures.
This is simply a new disease without a known cure yet.
Reality dictates that , yes, the possibility exists, we may, or may not lose loved ones.
There is nothing harsh in recognizing that reality in this situation.

When, and if, that occurs we will deal with it, but prempting what might happen or what could happen, playing what if scenarios, or being overly emotional about the risks and possibilities solves nothing, and just leads to unnecessary and unwarranted stress and anxiety in a difficult time.
Except there is a reality where people have been concerned enough about each other, listen to what is mandated and do the right thing. This logical (and yes, emotional) response has saved countless lives and allowed relative normalcy to prevail.

The gung-ho attitude you're displaying is indicative of South Africa in general, and is the reason so many unnecessary deaths occurred. Had cooler heads and concern prevailed that number could be closer to zero.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Except there is a reality where people have been concerned enough about each other, listen to what is mandated and do the right thing. This logical (and yes, emotional) response has saved countless lives and allowed relative normalcy to prevail.

The gung-ho attitude you're displaying is indicative of South Africa in general, and is the reason so many unnecessary deaths occurred. Had cooler heads and concern prevailed that number could be closer to zero.
Save lives :ROFL:

Do you actually believe the garbage you write?

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
With an IFR so low what is the point ?
"0-19 years: 0.00003
20-49 years: 0.0002
50-69 years: 0.005
70+ years: 0.054"
Studies published in September hinted at the possibility of long-term damage to the pulmonary systems of asymptomatic sufferers, and we know that symptomatic sufferers of COVID have had a very difficult time recovering and getting back to normal.

The mortality rate is concerning, but the lasting damage is the bigger issue.

This is why everyone needs to mask up and socially distance.