South Africa's COVID-19 contract tracing has failed to meet targets - Professor Madhi

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Aren't you part of the problem? :ROFL:
Yeah, no. Played my part, respected everyone else and respected the law. Now there is no need for masks.

It's the attitude that every man is an island that is causing ongoing issues and unnecessary illness and possibly death. But sure, you go on being Ibiza or Robben Island, whatever.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Boy you really drank the kool aid :ROFL:
@ShaunSA, the tl;dr is that you shouldn't be reducing COVID-19 deaths to statistics and percentages. This was someone's father or aunt, someone who was loved, someone who will be missed. Or do you disagree?

The long term effects are only beginning to be identified - why play Russian roulette with your health, because statistics agree with you?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Except there is a reality where people have been concerned enough about each other, listen to what is mandated and do the right thing. This logical (and yes, emotional) response has saved countless lives and allowed relative normalcy to prevail.

The gung-ho attitude you're displaying is indicative of South Africa in general, and is the reason so many unnecessary deaths occurred. Had cooler heads and concern prevailed that number could be closer to zero.
We observe mask wearing, we observe sanitising, we observe social distancing, and yet all of those things do not stop the virus, neither singularly nor collectively, all they do is reduce the chance of infection, nothing more , nothing less.

The response may have saved some lives, and normalcy is a fallacy and lie. There is nothing normal about life at the moment, there is nothing normal about the countless people whos livelihoods have been ripped away from them or the amount of people who have little to no future due to lockdowns and restrictive measures brought on, not by logical thought , but by panic and emotional snap judgements from governments who have been screwing up health care systems via budget cuts and hospital closures for the last decade or more in countless countries.

Gung-ho attitude ? LOL ,no, life as it is and not through some rose tinted glasses.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
OT, but I have to laugh at people talking about ''government spyware''.

We walk around with smartphones (GPS and RICA), using apps - often times always running in the background - that have a lot of our personal information. Facebook leaked personal data (Lol if you think they never knew this was happening from the outset), what makes you think your banking app hasn't leaked something out the back door?

Google can already ''profile'' you by tailoring recommendations and advertising. Governments already know quite a lot.

Rinkhals

As we move into the so-called second wave with over 8,000 new case (as against 3,000 a few days ago) I'm wondering how damaging the general resistance to common sense measures like mask wearing and to using the app has contributed to the increase.

Hopefully, this aversion to mask wearing and other sensible precautions hasn't made the move to level 5 inevitable.

Zophos

Expert Member
As we move into the so-called second wave with over 8,000 new case (as against 3,000 a few days ago) I'm wondering how damaging the general resistance to common sense measures like mask wearing and to using the app has contributed to the increase.

Hopefully, this aversion to mask wearing and other sensible precautions hasn't made the move to level 5 inevitable.

So true that wearing masks would have prevented this.

In other news, I erected a diamond mesh fence around my house to keep the mosquitos out. /s

Rinkhals

Well, yes.

That is precisely the sort of attitude which helps to spread infections.

While wearing a mask does not provide perfect protection for the wearer, what it does do is reduce the viral load by trapping larger aerosol droplets that an infected carrier might spread.

In my view it's not about perfect inviolability, but rather about managing risk.

It's a small enough thing to ask people to do, but somehow managing a pandemic is of far less importance than the right to pass on one's infectious disease.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Read the next post! The immunity system, just like everything else needs to be exercised regularly, to keep it sharp and ready for action!
The immunologists, just like the epiwhatisnames are being forced to review their preconceived BS on a daily basis.
The people who study the immune system already knew all this.

How many recoveries? How is the percentage of serious cases compared to 6 months ago? Death rate?

If they beat anyone to death, or kill them otherwise, because they refuse to comply with COVID nonsense, that's a bad thing for the State.
Would that be considered a COVID-19 related death?

While wearing a mask does not provide perfect protection for the wearer, what it does do is reduce the viral load by trapping larger aerosol droplets that an infected carrier might spread.
Gravity and ventilation are good interventions too.

It's a small enough thing to ask people to do, but somehow managing a pandemic is of far less importance than the right to pass on one's infectious disease.
You lot need to get yourself a book you can bash.

Rinkhals

That's really disappointing.

To me it seems obvious that the sooner we get the pandemic under control, the sooner we can go back to normal life. And if that means wearing a mask it seems a very small price to pay.

The fact that the incidence of new infections has jumped for 3,000 on Monday to 8,000 on Thursday and the same on Friday is an indication that it's not under control.