South Africa's Covid-19 vaccine certificate system is live

Dudlu

Expert Member
But why are news sites running these articles when the site is not open for public use but being tested.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This is so stupid that you have to enter some code. Most people don't even know what their vaccine code is.

ScrooV

This is so stupid that you have to enter some code. Most people don't even know what their vaccine code is.
You should have been sent a code via SMS the day(s) you received your vaccination(s). SMS said to keep the code for future use.

rvZA

Honorary Master
All that trouble for this:
View attachment 1160500
Should it not be valid for at least 1 year?

One of two things... this could be a 3 month validity period from the day downloading the certificate, which will auto-renew each time you log in and request a new one.

Alternatively, it could work with the science. The vaccine protection is said to last 3-8 months. Perhaps they will, at some point, require a booster shot before renewing the date again?

Don't know. Don't even know what the real purpose of the certificate it. It is pretty much useless in my opinion.

ScrooV

What if you've lost your phone since you had the vaccine? Or lost your vaccine card? They already have your ID number, that should be all you need to retrieve your certificate.
I think there is a help line for cases like this - although would be better to wait a while before attempting. (The code I assume is to make it a bit harder to create fake passports?)

rvZA

Honorary Master
Seems pointless to vaccinate for travel (unless it is to emigrate) if they expire so soon. Hope it is just the card that is valid in 3 monthly installments & not a need to vaccinate each time it expires.

Agreed, but they seriously cannot expect one to be vaccinated every 3 months while protection should last 3-8 months. Not sure how this will work. Will have to wait and see.

Turing

What is "network issue" supposed to mean anyway? Surely they can't mean your cellphone network - who is going to quickly go change that to see if the system starts working?

Also they seem to be blocking visitors outside SA. It just times out if I'm connected via my VPN.