South Africa's Disney+ catalogue may look different other countries at launch

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Why Disney+ in South Africa might not look the same as overseas

The Disney+ catalogue that will launch in South Africa next month might not be the same as in other countries.

Disney told MyBroadband that existing licencing commitments might result in slight variances between the content available to subscribers in South Africa and other regions.

R13...

Honorary Master
The only reason I might sign up is access to the Simpsons and StarWars clone wars. But then again I could just download both of those shows as I'm not sure I'm willing to pay so much just to watch two shows. The rest of their catalogue holds little to me.

Shadow07

I was actually thinking of getting it for that reduced amount but if half the content isn't available then there really is no point. Do you think it is possible that they will release somewhere what South Africans will be able to view nearer to the time?

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Disney+ includes Star outside of the US - what else were you hoping for? :unsure:
*deciding on whether or not to respond sarcastically to what was an obvious question*...:rolleyes:

I'll break it down...besides Disney+ (the usual shows) and Star, does this bouquet we will get in RSA offer any of their other channels? Simple question requires a simple response. As in not a simple-minded response, but an answer with details.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
*deciding on whether or not to respond sarcastically to what was an obvious question*...:rolleyes:

I'll break it down...besides Disney+ (the usual shows) and Star, does this bouquet we will get in RSA offer any of their other channels? Simple question requires a simple response. As in not a simple-minded response, but an answer with details.
Disney+ is the "channel". I'm not sure what else you are hoping for? NG content? ESPN?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am curious whether Disney will also clamp down on multi-user access like their main competitor. Where I welcome single IP use, it is a problem to come to shared IPs which is not so uncommon amongst certain ISPs and particularly VPNs which are used to bypass regional licensing. Not that I care, but it is a point worth highlighting.

Almost every second YouTube video I watch has a personal ad in which some VPN is promoted where a key selling point is regional bypassing, not so much privacy.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Disney+ is the "channel". I'm not sure what else you are hoping for? NG content? ESPN?
Well yes...ESPN etc. So does our version include that. Or, is that another article coming down the line?

Gudnews

Expert Member
DStv now exists mainly to restrict the content that international streaming services can offer in South Africa.
And they don't seem to even bother asking Disney to give them the NatGeo family of channels in HD.

WAslayer

Executive Member
And they don't seem to even bother asking Disney to give them the NatGeo family of channels in HD.
Satellite capacity is limited.. NAT geo channels are probably not watched by enough subscribers to warrant the additional capacity to HD..

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu