South Africa's driver's licence card machine can't print fast enough

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
South Africa's driver's licence card machine can't print fast enough

South Africa's final driving licence renewal deadline is fast approaching, and the country could face significant problems as the immediate backlog still sits at 2.1 million cards.

The Department of Transport told Parliament on Wednesday that the backlog has not decreased since January 2022, and that 43% of South Africa's expired driving licence cards are yet to be renewed.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Rather than paying extra wages for overime, they should set a quota on the amount of cards that has to be printed in a set amount of time.

Yoztruly

I’m happy I got the SMS saying mg card has arrived. Renewed in November. I wasn’t expecting to ever see the card.

clickingbuttons

Expert Member
Then buy another card machine you stupid inept free loading fukks. I'm sure there's a tender there where you can inflate the price of a new machine by 12000%
......a win win for the fat pig cadres.

My understanding on this is that they are unable to procure a new machine without changing the type of card issued.

That's what I've gathered from the tens of news articles on the matter.

Friggs

I’m happy I got the SMS saying mg card has arrived. Renewed in November. I wasn’t expecting to ever see the card.
They actually sent you an SMS? I also renewed around November or December (I forget) and haven't bothered trying to go and collect as I have no way of knowing if it's there or not and don't feel like queueing for hours to be told it's not. Really hope I get an SMS as well otherwise I just won't bother going until December this year...

McGuywer

Executive Member
They actually sent you an SMS? I also renewed around November or December (I forget) and haven't bothered trying to go and collect as I have no way of knowing if it's there or not and don't feel like queueing for hours to be told it's not. Really hope I get an SMS as well otherwise I just won't bother going until December this year...
I also never received an SMS.
On the website where you make bookings, check the status of your card. Mine showed that it is available for collection.

Yoztruly

I think it has always been like this. I also told myself I will not go there until my lack of a card becomes a problem. I was happy I got the SMS before that happened.

garyc

Expert Member
“To meet this expected demand, the DLCA will continue to work shifts/overtime until the backlog is cleared.
And thereby increasing the load on an old and erratic machine, with less down time for maintenance. Sounds like this plan should work.

At least they have already put an alibi in place by blaming the public for applying too late.

The Magster

Do we not have a machine that can print another Mr Fixit? We keep that print and tell the real one to take a hike. What a circus.

Friggs

I also never received an SMS.
On the website where you make bookings, check the status of your card. Mine showed that it is available for collection.
Not on the new site, used to have a "card status" option but that has now been removed with the fancy new 'revamp'... I tried to mail them about the fact that there is no longer an option to check the status but got a response explaining how to check your payment status or some rubbish

McGuywer

Executive Member
Not on the new site, used to have a "card status" option but that has now been removed with the fancy new 'revamp'... I tried to mail them about the fact that there is no longer an option to check the status but got a response explaining how to check your payment status or some rubbish
I didn't actually see that they revamped the website.

Here is the old link:

That is not working anymore.