South Africa's first million COVID-19 vaccines will arrive at the start of February

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

South Africa's first million COVID-19 vaccines will arrive at the start of February

South Africa’s first vaccines will arrive in the country on Feb. 1, signaling the start of an inoculation program that has been criticized for its tardiness.

The first million of 1.5 million doses of the shot developed by AstraZeneca Plc and the University of Oxford and produced by the Serum Institute of India Ltd. have been cleared by South African regulators for use, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said at a press conference Wednesday.

They will be ready for distribution 10 to 14 days later, he said. The campaign will prioritize 1.25 million health workers.

[Bloomberg]

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
So, mid-February rollout, and nothing for the elderly yet...

1 Feb 2021 - Vaccines arrive
2 Feb 2021 - Ooops!
View attachment 1001922

No vaccine for rural areas without backup generators:

JohnStarr

Executive Member

I'd suggest an end of February rollout. If it's only shipped mid-February it's going to take a couple of days to get sorted out wherever it arrives.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
It's good to see government say they've got the budget for vaccines...until you realise it's not THEIR budget, it's probably going to be pulled from us, the medical aid users. Read an article on News24 this morning whic said medical aids can expect to pay 2x to 3x the standard price...wonderful idea there government!

ConfusedR

Expert Member
They should already prepare for the commission of inquiry for:
- the vaccines that went missing............some of the million doses will disappear
- the millions/billions that were over-spent for the vaccines

or even both

....and yes.....Cyril will be shocked

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
They should already prepare for the commission of inquiry for:
- the vaccines that went missing............some of the million doses will disappear
- the millions/billions that were over-spent for the vaccines

or even both

....and yes.....Cyril will be shocked
It is so sad that many (most? all?) of us actually had this as our first thought.

heartbroken

Expert Member
Taking all bets, I have the odds at 50% of the vaccines getting lost and overspending at 10 to 1.

as other countries further ahead vaccinating will impose trade and travel restrictions on our already battered economy.

That is the part that worries me the most. With government insisting that they will manage distribution, a lot of us that will need a vaccine to enable business travel will simply just not have access to it. Tourism will be effected yes, but the biggest losers will be business travel, people working overseas and those wanting to emigrate.

Jetty

I want to know why the hell they need another 10 - 14 days to start distribution.
Are they counting the vaccines by hand?
They've had the whole of Jan to plan distribution.

I'm putting the odds at 1% that these clowns would have vaccinated more than 10k people by the end of Feb.

heartbroken

Expert Member
I want to know why the hell they need another 10 - 14 days to start distribution.

I'm putting the odds at 1% that these clowns would have vaccinated more than 10k people by the end of Feb.
My bet is that the 10k would have 1 doctor they publicly vaccinate for the media and the other 9999 going to the ANC and their friends.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It is so sad that many (most? all?) of us actually had this as our first thought.
Yup mine as well. Where is the corruption. Next thought already a month late. Yes I know that is an exaggeration
The vac will arrive January. Now it arrives in February.
Next inconsistency. The Minister says 20 million administered vaccines by the end of the year. In the same media briefing an underling says health will be hard pressed to get to 7 million in 9 months. So in 3 months, 13 million will be administered. Typical Project Management on an Excel SS. Hockey stick syndrome and all the usual BS already and they have not even started.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

The vaccines have to go into quarantine for 14 days according to SAHPRA, during which quality control lab tests must be done, paper work dealt with SSs completed double triple blind verifications committee need to approve. The process is all very fancy on a colour coded PPT slide. Enough points and places for plenty to go wrong.
My first thought was too complicated, unworkable, yet logical. NOT at all suitable for a real life emergency response. Fine for a normal vaccine roll out with no urgent time pressures sure.

eg2505

Honorary Master
ANC style isnt to be honest, ANC style is to lie and lie big.
say 200K even though in reality maybe 20K got the vaccine.

eg2505

Honorary Master
lets see how much of a balls up this little distribution is.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Are we getting ours from India?

The times they are a changin' as Ramaphosa starts to clean up | News24

Gupta family to sell shares in SA companies including Sahara Computers -  The Mail & Guardian

Last edited:

Shadowchaser1

Taking all bets, I have the odds at 50% of the vaccines getting lost and overspending at 10 to 1.

as other countries further ahead vaccinating will impose trade and travel restrictions on our already battered economy.

That is the part that worries me the most. With government insisting that they will manage distribution, a lot of us that will need a vaccine to enable business travel will simply just not have access to it. Tourism will be effected yes, but the biggest losers will be business travel, people working overseas and those wanting to emigrate.
I agree. I left SA in 2003 for work. I reside in Scandinavia these days, but work in the ME. We've been vaccinated, not by the country where I work, but by the company I work for. My sister and her family emigrate from SA last year after they were caught by your LD rules. The moment they could travel they left. They were lucky in the sense that they had jobs and both companies were ok with them due to the LD rules. She still says the best thing they did, although it took them more than 15 years to leave.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Are we getting ours from India?

Gupta family to sell shares in SA companies including Sahara Computers -  The Mail & Guardian

The times they are a changin' as Ramaphosa starts to clean up | News24' as Ramaphosa starts to clean up | News24
Perfect irony. Also not an apples for apples comparison. But clearly shows how Joe Soap out there will see it. Sure, for those of us who think we know about these things can see the risks and inconsistencies.

Last edited:

Oldfut

Ah, a hint as to one source of tenderpreneuring; ANC BEE generators incoming at massive cost.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member

My money is on a heist at or around ORTIA as the trucks offloaded at the aircraft.

Brontosaurus

Expert Member
I agree. I left SA in 2003 for work. I reside in Scandinavia these days, but work in the ME. We've been vaccinated, not by the country where I work, but by the company I work for. My sister and her family emigrate from SA last year after they were caught by your LD rules. The moment they could travel they left. They were lucky in the sense that they had jobs and both companies were ok with them due to the LD rules. She still says the best thing they did, although it took them more than 15 years to leave.

I'm desperately trying to leave. I guess I studied the wrong thing. I've applied for well over 200 jobs; not so much as even a personal message from a recruiter on LinkedIn.

I'm sure Covid has something to do with it, but I'm close to giving up.

Worried I'll be stuck in this sh*thole™ forever.