South Africa's Khune disappointed in crowd support

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/06/11/khune.crowd.ap/index.html

JOHANNESBURG (AP) -South Africa's goalkeeper says he was disappointed the World Cup host nation didn't get loud enough support from the home fans during the opening match against Mexico.

Itumeleng Khune says it felt more like a "Mexico home game'' and that he hopes that South Africa supporters will be more vocal during the team's next Group A match against Uruguay in Pretoria on Wednesday.

He said Friday the "people who were making too much noise were the Mexicans'' and that the team's advantage "should have been the 12th player, the supporters blowing vuvuzelas.''

Khune also says "everybody gave their best'' in the match, which ended in a 1-1 draw, but the team "lacked concentration'' toward the end.

What??? I thought the crowd was awesome!

smokey

Honorary Master
I agree with him, we were way too quiet. All we did was blow the blerry vuvus, no one was cheering - the Mexican fans were louder than us. Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed it (though I think PK did as well)...

LancelotSA

Banned
Probably a result of the "tunnel vision (hearing?)" effect of playing in a major event. All outside distractions disappear as you focus intensely on the task at hand.

LancelotSA

Banned
I agree with him, we were way too quiet. All we did was blow the blerry vuvus, no one was cheering - the Mexican fans were louder than us. Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed it (though I think PK did as well)...

I think you are going to be disappointed when you see that he went on to say the following :

“Our advantage should have been the 12th player, the supporters blowing those vuvuzelas,” Khune said. “Let’s hope in the next game there will be more vuvuzelas.”

smokey

Honorary Master
I think you are going to be disappointed when you see that he went on to say the following :

Not at all. I just think there should be a balance. The players need to hear their names being shouted as well as the random noise of the vuvus. We just weren't loud enough as a crowd - as a bunch of vuvuzela blowing maniacs we outdid ourselves. However, the focus on blowing a vuvu takes time away from the traditional "oooohs' and "aaaaahs" that make crowd support so meaningful. You have to admit though - the anthem singing was pathetic.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Vuvuzelas were going non stop at Flash Backs in Plett where I watched!!!!

smokey

Honorary Master
It is on very few occasions that anthem singing impresses me.... probably only before Welsh or Scottish rugby.

You'd think that on the opening game of the first WC on African soil, the people would make an effort. The Mexicans did. It makes me so naar and we have an awesome anthem too... oh well...

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ja... that anthem music started and everybody was just standing there blank. By the time they realized it was playing... they didn't know where they were in the song. I think the stadium started playing it too soft, then turned it up.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Were there lyrics anywhere? Some people don't know the anthem but would def sing along if there were lyrics somewhere :(
There weren't any on tv I dont think :(:(

smokey

Honorary Master
I dunno, it was only a few bars in when people clicked. Hell, at least the players could have sung with more vigour. Pienaar did though - tops to him!

wheunis

Here at the local Fan Park, Khune would not have been disappointed.

The guys at the bigscreen and audio system eventually gave up on trying to get the oomph of the speakers over the crowd.
We were off the hooks loud!

smokey

Honorary Master
Were there lyrics anywhere? Some people don't know the anthem but would def sing along if there were lyrics somewhere :(

I'm sorry man, but there's no excuse to not know your country's national anthem. That's just wrong.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Time to learn it buddy! It's not that hard.

Ecco

Executive Member
Ja... that anthem music started and everybody was just standing there blank. By the time they realized it was playing... they didn't know where they were in the song. I think the stadium started playing it too soft, then turned it up.

Heres my take on this. I was at the stadium.

I expected somebody to lead the singing of the anthem. The music started playing, and i was waiting to hear somebody singing the anthem over the PA system, and I would have joined in. I heard nothing, thought it was a glitch, waited and realised it wasnt, then i joined in.

I think others around me were confused too.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Heres my take on this. I was at the stadium.

I expected somebody to lead the singing of the anthem. The music started playing, and i was waiting to hear somebody singing the anthem over the PA system, and I would have joined in. I heard nothing, thought it was a glitch, waited and realised it wasnt, then i joined in.

I think others around me were confused too.

Lyrics (karaoke style) would've helped though right? Then you'd know they were singing for real!! :p

Ecco

Executive Member
Lyrics (karaoke style) would've helped though right? Then you'd know they were singing for real!! :p

Might have helped us realise its time to start singing, but we shouldn't need lyrics.

I honestly thought there would be a person singing the anthem over the PA system. Almost all the live sporting events i have been to, a person leads the singing, and everybody joins in. And I was waiting for that.