South Africa's lockdown regulations vs the rest of the world

ebendl

Expert Member
So for the 50 people attending funerals -- does that include the dead guy and the priest/pastor/dominee?

Bighit

Expert Member
So for the 50 people attending funerals -- does that include the dead guy and the priest/pastor/dominee?

I recall one of the ministers saying it does, but excludes the funeral parlour people because they usually stand outside and not with the funeral attendees.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

No, mama Zuma already covered that, excluded from the body count, pun intended.

Nod

Executive Member
My colleagues in Germany May take their dog for a walk. I'm sure alkohol is also allowed.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I think allowing for funerals of 50 people is a mistake. It's likely to cost hundreds of lives in the coming months.

The ban on alcohol is creating an interesting situation where hospital admission for alcohol related injuries are down significantly, which is probably why they banned it. I just hope that illegal sales can be kept down long enough for the virus to be contained.

Regarding the cigarette ban, I think it's the wiser thing to do. The smoke particles may result in the disease carrying further. Given that many people have no choice but to inhale second hand smoke from their neighbours, family and other people who live close by, it's a reasonable sacrifice that those people need to make. The is no ban on nicotine patches and similar treatments that won't put other people at risk.

Regarding the use of public spaces or exercise and dog walking, we should remember that we don't all live in suburbs, the majority of citizens live in dense urban settings. Its probably also a case of making the rules enforceable for the limited law enforcement resources we have. Its likely also what is contributing to the dramatically reduced crime rate.

There is so much about this disease that we do not know yet. Until we know otherwise, we should assume the worst. We also should be careful of comparing our measures with the US and Europe. We have a vastly different situation.

We can however learn from how the US federal government has botched their response. Despite all their resources, they are likely to end up having the highest death rate per capita in the world. I mean, they have governors in certain states that are encouraging people to pack the churches for Easter.

Our measures are significantly more lenient compared to China, the Philippines and Hong Kong.

Mirai

Executive Member
Interesting to see if rate of alcohol withdrawal delirium admissions is increased.

daveza

Honorary Master
I

Regarding the cigarette ban, I think it's the wiser thing to do. The smoke particles may result in the disease carrying further. Given that many people have no choice but to inhale second hand smoke from their neighbours, family and other people who live close by, it's a reasonable sacrifice that those people need to make. The is no ban on nicotine patches and similar treatments that won't put other people at risk.

Diabetes is also a risk factor as is heart disease, so why not prohibit the sale of sugar and anything high in cholesterol.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Diabetes is also a risk factor as is heart disease, so why not prohibit the sale of sugar and anything high in cholesterol.

Don't come with your Western imperialist logic! SA citizens can buy as much Coke and chips as they want. We are a healthy country... /sarcasm

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
What can you do under the stay-at-home order?
The goal is to limit the spread of COVID-19 but it does not mean you are on “lockdown” as many say.
You are allowed to do the following as long as you’re practicing social distance:
  • Go outside and take a walk, run, go swimming, play basketball, go fishing or any other recreational activity
  • Go to the grocery store or gas station
  • Go to work if working from home isn’t an option
  • Order food from a restaurant via carry-out or delivery
  • Attend a church service
  • Take care of your pets
  • Care for a loved one or a friend
This what it looks like on our end, but then again, when looking at the rates of infection and deaths ..... SA is doing alot better.

Having said that, I still think the SA government have pushed the envelope on this lock down.

hj007

Expert Member
/snip
There is so much about this disease that we do not know yet. Until we know otherwise, we should assume the worst. We also should be careful of comparing our measures with the US and Europe. We have a vastly different situation.
Or take the view of Sweden, until we know more information everything is just speculation so shutting the economy is just premature. Interesting the different perspectives.

Solarion

Honorary Master
I think allowing for funerals of 50 people is a mistake. It's likely to cost hundreds of lives in the coming months.

The ban on alcohol is creating an interesting situation where hospital admission for alcohol related injuries are down significantly, which is probably why they banned it. I just hope that illegal sales can be kept down long enough for the virus to be contained.

Regarding the use of public spaces or exercise and dog walking, we should remember that we don't all live in suburbs, the majority of citizens live in dense urban settings. Its probably also a case of making the rules enforceable for the limited law enforcement resources we have. Its likely also what is contributing to the dramatically reduced crime rate.

We can however learn from how the US federal government has botched their response. Despite all their resources, they are likely to end up having the highest death rate per capita in the world. I mean, they have governors in certain states that are encouraging people to pack the churches for Easter.

Our measures are significantly more lenient compared to China, the Philippines and Hong Kong.

The virus not exhaled in the breathe of asymptomatic patients. It is not aspirated through the lungs into the air. If that were that case then it would be airborne.
True story ask any medical expert.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
The virus not exhaled in the breathe of asymptomatic patients. It is not aspirated through the lungs into the air. If that were that case then it would be airborne.
True story ask any medical expert.
Completely.

The virus isn't airborne.
Smoking makes no difference.
Ask the car that just drove past.
One acceleration of the car equals a month of smoke exhalation from me.
Stuff it.
While we're at it. Alcohol doesn't cause injuries, people do. Adults are able to consume prooducts in an adult way. A responsible manner.
Check from which demographic the crime stats come from. There's the truth.