South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Collecting a pay cheque for years. Doubt she did much.
Same as sleeping on the job for 20 years and later come and complain on MyBb about some BEE candidate who got the higher position even though you were the most skilled.

That is just how skill work, I did not invent the rules.

nightjar

Executive Member
So you are telling me that a Primary school teacher is head of the Military in SA.....No wonder we are in this position to begin with...
The Party works on the assumption that, because she is dishonest, she is adequately qualified for any position to which the Party deploys her.

grok

Honorary Master
Same as sleeping on the job for 20 years and later come and complain on MyBb about some BEE candidate who got the higher position even though you were the most skilled.

I'm starting to think that TheChamp is actually Carl Niehaus, for have you ever come across another such a furious defender of absolute crap?

Shame hey, and with his idol in jail he must have plenty time to think up such Wakanda-level examples and other revolutionary ****. Go home Carl you're drunk, again.

Sollie

Honorary Master

It takes an extremely special skill to make people believe you're going to split that job 9 ways, expect that oke to do a skill transfer, the new incumbents are going to get 10 times the salary and the country will flourish.

Only beaten by trying to convince us we're living in a civilized country. :ROFL:

kolaval

Executive Member
Our Minister position is an oversight one, it's not executive in its nature in terms of operational matters of the relevant department, that's why we have DGs, they are the accounting officers, they are the guys the Ministers point fingers at when something goes wrong.

How is she qualified to oversee the DGs?

The US secretary of Defence is like having a position combining the roles to varying extents of the Minister, DG and that of the Chief of the Defence force, the person in the position has executive powers for operational and administrative matters.
Hypothetically, when SA needs to talk to the US dept of defence and they phone him, who will be the SA counterpart speaking to him?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
How is she qualified to oversee the DGs?

Hypothetically, when SA needs to talk to the US dept of defence and they phone him, who will be the SA counterpart speaking to him?
She is the Boss, same way your Boss at work is still your Boss even if you are more qualified than them.

Hypothetically if the head of government in Eswatini who is King Mswati wants to speak to his counterpart in SA, who would the counterpart be?

nightjar

Executive Member
She is the Boss, same way your Boss at work is still your Boss even if you are more qualified than them.

Hypothetically if the head of government in Eswatini who is King Mswati wants to speak to his counterpart in SA, who would the counterpart be?
NDZ?
Her commie council rules our lives.

kolaval

Executive Member
I will do exactly that, I was just giving you something to ponder. The Secretary of Defence will speak to our Minister of Defence.
So it is not unreasonable then to expect our Minister of Defence to be knowledgeable and skilled in matters of defence.

I do not think her an idiot, I think she's quite driven actually.
But how do you go from being deputy minister of home affairs, then minister of home affairs, then minister of correctional services, then minister of defence in 10 years?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So it is not unreasonable then to expect our Minister of Defence to be knowledgeable and skilled in matters of defence.

I do not think her an idiot, I think she's quite driven actually.
But how do you go from being deputy minister of home affairs, then minister of home affairs, then minister of correctional services, then minister of defence in 10 years?
I did not at any point raise an argument of it being reasonable or unreasonable, there are two arguments I made,

1. The two roles are different and comparing them is complicated.
2. There are no academic qualifications required for Ministers.

I also made an example of the American secretary of Agriculture being a lawyer, surely if America is the one with the standards everyone should look up to then that should never happen?

The argument about her being a primary school teacher would never hold if we were consistent with applying the standards and if we can't be consistent then what is the point?

How do you go from minister of Home affairs, Home Affairs, Correctional Services and Defence in 10 years? Simple answer why not, what requirement did she not satisfy to do that?

Last edited:

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I will do exactly that, I was just giving you something to ponder. The Secretary of Defence will speak to our Minister of Defence.

And the South African Minister of Defence, who is qualified to teach primary school kids, will be able to have a coherent military related conversation with a four star general?

eg2505

Honorary Master
And the South African Minister of Defence, who is qualified to teach primary school kids, will be able to have a coherent military related conversation with a four star general?
this, its like comparing Einstein with a petrol station attendant, different worlds entirely.
just goes to show you to be a minister of ANYTHING, all you really need is to be black and related in someway, shape or form to somebody important in the ANC.

nobody cares if you can/cant do your job, nobody checks if you show up to work, nobody cares if you know anything.
all that's important is your black (not hard) and your related to somebody in the ANC (can be tricky)

and yes, you too can be a "elite" minster or part of their entourage.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
this, its like comparing Einstein with a petrol station attendant, different worlds entirely.

Cue those with no knowledge of the difference between outliers and the median on the Normal Distribution / Gaussian / Bell Curve to present you with a case of a petrol attendant attaining a degree to imply that there is no difference between Einstein and most petrol attendants...

kolaval

Executive Member
I did not at any point raise an argument of it being reasonable or unreasonable, there are two arguments I made,

1. The two roles are different and comparing them is complicated.
2. There is no academic qualifications required for Ministers.

I also made an example of the American secretary of Agriculture being a lawyer, surely if America is the one with the standards everyone should look up to then that should never happen?
Fair point.
He has almost 10 years experience in that position and in the gap he was CEO of the U.S. Dairy Export Council and served as a Strategic Advisor to Colorado State University’s food and water initiatives. Related fields.

Locally, take Zweli Mkhize for example, he is a doctor, has a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree, has a practice etc.
He's appointed to minister of health, that makes sense. Related fields.

How do you go from minister of Home affairs, Home Affairs, Correctional Services and Defence in 10 years? Simple answer why not, what requirement did she not satisfy to do that?

Probably she met all the requirements. Maybe that's the issue.
Could the bar be that low?