South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

Kodi

What an insult to that fine General. Comparing him to that homo erectus, is racist :laugh:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Comparing the two positions shouldn't even happen because they are not exactly similar.

The two positions may not be exactly similar, but it is indicative of a problem. We put people into these positions who have zero actual experience in the spheres they are now responsible for directing policy and such over.

We also have a fundamental problem with Ministers not understanding the boundaries of their role. The Don is a primary example of this actually.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

What, are they going to face off in a rock, paper, scissors, lizard, spock contest or something?

This is like comparing apples with electric cars.

splattie

Comparing the two positions shouldn't even happen because they are not exactly similar.
Agreed, the US has seen more war than we have seen corruption in SA. With that kind of history your goal would be very different as to who sits in the hot seat.

grok

Honorary Master
giphy.gif

Attachments

• Tom Cruise Knight And Day With Me Without Me.gif
    Tom Cruise Knight And Day With Me Without Me.gif
    1 MB · Views: 26

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Explain the dissimilarities please?
Our Minister position is an oversight one, it's not executive in its nature in terms of operational matters of the relevant department, that's why we have DGs, they are the accounting officers, they are the guys the Ministers point fingers at when something goes wrong.

The US secretary of Defence is like having a position combining the roles to varying extents of the Minister, DG and that of the Chief of the Defence force, the person in the position has executive powers for operational and administrative matters.

Scorpion101

Ok kids everyone settle down if you don’t listen I am sending you to the naughty corner. I guess they didn’t listen and continued Looting

ForceFate

Honorary Master
remember who you voted for
and remember that next time you go to vote.
South Africans are deeply divided across racial and ethnic lines. That's not going to change today. Any political party ignoring this little fact puts the country at the peril of the likes of JZ. Zille and Maimane made mistakes in the past but whatever they're doing now is not the solution to their mistakes.

ANC will continue to dominate for as long as the likes of DA (the only viable opposition really) are napping at the wheel.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Simple comparison explains why South Africa's ministers are so bad at their jobs

Last week's deadly riots and looting exposed the incompetence and lack of accountability in South Africa's cabinet — especially the crime prevention and security cluster.

President Cyril Ramaphosa acknowledged that the government was poorly prepared to deal with the public violence, destruction, and sabotage in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.

Mapisa-Nqakula is an idiot who should be fired, but not for her lack of military experience.

SA has had great ministers who trained in different fields - Trevor Manuel was an engineer Pravin Gordhan was a pharmacist, and they were great ministers of finance.

In the US, I would compare Ayanda Dlodlo to the Director of National Intelligence, a position which was held by someone without intelligence experience under Trump: Dan Coats and John Ratcliffe.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Then what should we use to compare?
It's like insisting that King Mswati and Cyril are both heads of their respective governments and wanting to compare their positions, you can do it but you are going to get stuck somewhere.