South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

ForceFate

Honorary Master
SAPS has their own intelligence section in each major centre , Cele has no excuse .
I think those units are still largely occupied and controlled by JZ loyalists. Don't forget during his presidency, they were allowed to loot with impunity.

R13...

Honorary Master
The two positions may not be exactly similar, but it is indicative of a problem. We put people into these positions who have zero actual experience in the spheres they are now responsible for directing policy and such over.

We also have a fundamental problem with Ministers not understanding the boundaries of their role. The Don is a primary example of this actually.
It is something they ought to be able to learn. All of the finance ministers we've had (excluding, "imagine this in your mouth") seem to have been able to become very well versed in their portfolios. The health minster also for the most part. The others (bar a few, like Lamola but he's lawyer) just aren't interested in learning but more interested in being control of those resources and their distribution.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
I find the comparisons a bit simplistic, the US has had years to build institutions and has long institutional memory to go with that, SA in particular still has to build traditions for themselves. If you were a member of the ANC MK, would you be happy having a Minister of Defence who might have been part of the enemy a few years ago, who routinely routed your pals every time there was a skirmish during the war? The minister just has to put the country first and be above the petty factional battles the ruling party is so fond of.

In my view, the fact that the DG's of ministries are not career civil servants but come and go with a particular minister is root of al the rot in government, we simply do not have continuity.
K@k man. We had all of that and the ANC destroyed it.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The article assumes that ANC cadre's are appointed based on competency for the portfolio.
Show me the long list of Bheki's military and policing achievements, how he progressed through the ranks to achieve the rank of General.

Last edited:

schuits

Expert Member
"He [Cele] told Parliament he has never seen any intelligence document warning of the failed insurrection, hinting that Dlodlo lied about the information sent to the police."

Keep checking your mailbox, she sent it via the SAPO.

kolaval

Executive Member
It's like insisting that King Mswati and Cyril are both heads of their respective governments and wanting to compare their positions, you can do it but you are going to get stuck somewhere.
Come on man, you're deflecting here.
You're trying to make a case that I cannot compare a Toyota bakkie to a Ford bakkie because " you are going to get stuck somewhere".

FNfal

Executive Member
I think those units are still largely occupied and controlled by JZ loyalists. Don't forget during his presidency, they were allowed to loot with impunity.
You are correct .

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It is something they ought to be able to learn. All of the finance ministers we've had (excluding, "imagine this in your mouth") seem to have been able to become very well versed in their portfolios. The health minster also for the most part. The others (bar a few, like Lamola but he's lawyer) just aren't interested in learning but more interested in being control of those resources and their distribution.

100%.

We have a very very few exceptions, but the vast majority of our MPs are only in it for the control of the resources and such...

We still have a long way to go to get a government that actually gives even half a shyte about the people on the ground.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So you are telling me that a Primary school teacher is head of the Military in SA.....No wonder we are in this position to begin with...
She is not the head of the Military, the head of the Military is General Rudzani Maphwanya.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Not useless. Their appointments are all in line with the bigger ANC strategy. The joke is on South Africans who keep buying the propaganda to forgive failures from the ANC.
True , however useless in as far as their actual qualifications for their posting instead of people being drawn from a pool suited due to years of experience in those areas of expertise.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Is it normal to make comparisons between opposite poles of anything?
What is this going to prove or achieve?