South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Come on man, you're deflecting here.
You're trying to make a case that I cannot compare a Toyota bakkie to a Ford bakkie because " you are going to get stuck somewhere".
I am not deflecting anything, I am actually making a case of you trying to compare the off-road capabilities of an Audi RS4 and and a Land Rover Discovery because they both have AWD.

I have posted a summary of differences in the two roles, why don't you at least dispute that with your own reasoning? I think that would be very progressive to the discussion.

Last edited:

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
"Many experts said the problem with cabinet appointments is that the ANC government uses them as rewards for political loyalty."

This is where our country's problem starts! No wonder the minister of defence is not fired due to bad performance.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Why not compare apples with apples? There other middle income countries (yes agreed we are different in many other ways) to use as benchmark? Brazil, Mexico, India, other African countries, Thailand?

Corelli

Expert Member
Do remember, education is included as part of the military curriculum. For many while at the military they pay for your studies, etc.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
"Many experts said the problem with cabinet appointments is that the ANC government uses them as rewards for political loyalty."

This is where our country's problem starts! No wonder the minister of defence is not fired due to bad performance.
Show me one government which does not do that?

Government Ministers must be MPs, MPs must be members of the party, members of the party must remain loyal to the party to remain members.

RanzB

Honorary Master

You think this is the only country where this happens?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Show me one government which does not do that?

Government Ministers must be MPs, MPs must be members of the party, members of the party must remain loyal to the party to remain members.

I think that this problem is worse in parliamentary democracies than presidential ones.

If Biden appoints ministers which Congress doesn't like, neither Biden nor the minister can be removed.
If Ramaphosa appoints ministers which Parliament doesn't like, Parliament can remove the Cabinet or even the President.

RanzB

Honorary Master
You implied that it happens in other countries. I only asked if you believe that makes a difference. Do you?

Well, firstly, the point I was addressing was that government positions are used as a quid pro quo here, I never said anything about anyone being unskilled, although that also occurs.

Secondly, I never said anything about it making a difference, the point was that it's not unique to SA, so it's hardly where our problem 'starts'.