South Africa's Minister of Defence vs the US Secretary of Defense

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Do you know what our BIGGEST problem is? Certain ministers should KNOW they are utterly incapable of dutifully fulfilling various positions and yet they accept the positions with open arms and open bank accounts. That is our biggest issue in government at the moment. People should not accept positions they are utterly incapable and unqualified of fulfilling.
You expect integrity from the bunch of bastards that is the anc?

Mekon

Expert Member
I find the comparisons a bit simplistic, the US has had years to build institutions and has long institutional memory to go with that, SA in particular still has to build traditions for themselves. If you were a member of the ANC MK, would you be happy having a Minister of Defence who might have been part of the enemy a few years ago, who routinely routed your pals every time there was a skirmish during the war? The minister just has to put the country first and be above the petty factional battles the ruling party is so fond of.

In my view, the fact that the DG's of ministries are not career civil servants but come and go with a particular minister is root of al the rot in government, we simply do not have continuity.
So a primary school teacher as our minister of defence will work? Gotcha. The cANCer are a failure. They celebrate failure. Useless disgrace.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Military intelligence assesses domestic threats as well? That doesn't sound right. That sounds like the job of crime and the domestic arm of the SSA. Both useless but still their job.

Of course they do. The military assesses and monitors any threats against the sovereignty of the state. Insurrection, treason, subversion and coups are all threats against the sovereignty of the state. At least three of those mentioned were present in the KZN/Gauteng looting debacle with attempts to disrupt communications.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So a primary school teacher as our minister of defence will work? Gotcha. The cANCer are a failure. They celebrate failure. Useless disgrace.
It has little to do with being a primary or high school teacher, but sometimes I feel you guys just want to drag the conversation down to the level you are comfortable at so carry on.

Mekon

Expert Member
It has little to do with being a primary or high school teacher, but sometimes I feel you guys just want to drag the conversation down to the level you are comfortable at so carry on.
This is about putting competent people in these positions. It's not fukking rocket science. Only the fukking ANC is so dense they cannot do anything properly.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
This is about putting competent people in these positions. It's not fukking rocket science. Only the fukking ANC is so dense they cannot do anything properly.
Yet you seem to have very strong views about primary school teachers? Would being a university lecturer make her a good Minister?

Illegal Allien

Minister of Defence Ireland - B.Sc Agric - https://www.gov.ie/en/biography/da4a1-simon-coveney/#
Minister of Defence France - Career Politician

Just a few European examples there, the political leader can be anything even a matric dropout since they are just a figurehead.

Sollie

Honorary Master
You're right. Nobody from before 1994 can be trusted so all the traditions and experience before then is racist and irrelevant.

27 years, we are such a young country, is way too short a time to find anybody better than a primary school teacher to lead the country's war machine! I say give her more time, one of these decades she'll be a force to be reckoned with :thumbsup:
Like in ... 120 decades, when history books are re-written? :ROFL:

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

Why do you say qualifications are irrelevant for the minister of defence? Care to compare the MoD's of the rest of the world and their qualifications?

Acid0

Expert Member
If I am correct bheki also just have a teachers qualifications?
So both can teach Grade R pupils.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Why do you say qualifications are irrelevant for the minister of defence? Care to compare the MoD's of the rest of the world and their qualifications?
No, I don't care to do that and I don't even need to even if I cared. It's simple really and you will soon see for yourself, answer this simple question, what are the requirements for being appointed a cabinet Minister in South Africa?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Yet you seem to have very strong views about primary school teachers? Would being a university lecturer make her a good Minister?
The Minister doesn't need you to apologise on her behalf.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
No, I don't care to do that and I don't even need to even if I cared. It's simple really and you will soon see for yourself, answer this simple question, what are the requirements for being appointed a cabinet Minister in South Africa?

Only loyalty. Ability doesn't matter at all as demonstrated.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Does also having unskilled unqualified ministers in other countries make it more acceptable here?
Of course. Why do you think we have our minister of police. We don't have crime here, just people that need to be educated to pre-primary level.

/Tell me I'm more wrong than all the justifications for what we've read, as to why it's okay.

//Being able to somehow justify in pretzel logic, still does not make it okay. Yet here we are.