South Africa's most popular firearms for self-defence

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
The most popular guns for self-defence in South Africa

Most South African gun owners with a licence to possess a firearm for self-defence opt for a semi-automatic pistol, South African Gun Owners’ Association (SAGA) president John Welch has told MyBroadband.

Welch said SAGA had seen a big increase in members following July’s violence and looting.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Nice thanks :thumbsup:
Have been wondering about this.
The Taurus G3 seems decent to.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
No Glock 19 ?
The article lists Glock first. With no derivatives being cited, I'm guessing they lumped them all together. Article also says CZ75 and doesn't mentioned P09 or P07. So let's just assume a variety of CZs.

PaulMurkin

Don't need a gun, this works just as well...
0095498_700.jpg

Danie_V

9mm's are great for accuracy and ammo availability, but I went with a Ruger LCP 2 in 9mm short for everyday carry that fits comfortably inside a pocket. Just worth noting that the original LCP is vastly improved in the LCP 2, so I'd be wary of buying the original one. Also, the LCP has recently been released in a LCP2 Max model that holds a few extra rounds but retains it's super small profile.

NR7

CZ 75B Omega - Old and heavy. Skip, it's not the 80s.

Glock 42- Ignoring the fact that the article has a picture of a Glock 30, this should only be chosen if you are really limited on space.
.380 ACP hollowpoints are not common, and it's even harder to find some that actually expand when fired from such a small gun.

Taurus G2C -My first gun was a Taurus. Had to have the action sanded down by a gunsmith because the whole thing starting seizing up after 15 rounds. Don't do this to yourself.
Spares are a pain too.

Ruger .380 LCP - Skip the first generation. Crappy trigger, parts are scarce, terrible sights. Maybe just skip it entirely.

Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 Core - Massive pistol. If you're looking for something this massive just get a Glock 19X or Glock 45.

The top 5 I'd recommend aren't even on the list.
Glock 43 - 9mmP, compact enough to conceal every day, reliable with great support.
Glock 43X or Glock 26 - Excellent compact package with 10rds of 9mmP.
Glock 19 or CZ P07 - Generally accepted as two of the best carry handguns ever.

neoprema

Executive Member
How does this list compare with the most popular firearms for robbery and hijacking?

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Can you fit a silencer to any of these? I don't want to disturb the neighbours.
You have awesome neighbours, I also would love to have ones that would not be disturbed by 126db. Granted it still beats 164dB by a mile and might jolt everyone awake instead of sending them straight into panic, but that's a story for another day :)

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Is it legal to print and register your own?
Short answer no, long answer, yes, but you will have to register as an arms manufacturer, and the premises would likely have to be zoned accordingly. But don't believe me, I only scanned through that section when I thought it would be a great idea to reload and sell ammo

wingnut771

Honorary Master
You have awesome neighbours, I also would love to have ones that would not be disturbed by 126db. Granted it still beats 164dB by a mile and might jolt everyone awake instead of sending them straight into panic, but that's a story for another day :)
Didn't realise it's as much as that, so definitely not like in the movies.