South Africa's most popular firearms for self-defence

MikeTosen

Go Glock 26, get some glock 19 mags - fit them with x-grip's - lighter everyday carry - very compact - going this option still has 15 round capacity. And bonus is - 9mm availability.

EUkdEEa.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldfut

Expert Member
IS there an excessive tax on firearms in SA? A quick check of the top three in the US range between 30-50% cheaper.

Yep, This what I have heard.
Let's join the dots; who "owns" Vektor z**'s?

Solarion

Honorary Master
The one I want is around $4500. Will have to wait a bit. I will get it.

Reactions: XTM

alanB

Go Glock 26, get some glock 19 mags - fit them with x-grip's - lighter everyday carry - very compact - going this option still has 15 round capacity. And bonus is - 9mm availability.

EUkdEEa.jpeg
After a bit of thought, while I do like this option, it struck me that you may as well go for a 19, because it's essentially the same thing with a slightly longer barrel, and that increase in barrel length doesn't really affect ease of carry.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Are there any handgun models suitable for both concealed carry and casual sport shooting. It seems to me that in sport shooting the larger models are more popular. Would something like a G19 or CZ P10 be potentially an option for both?

RanzB

Honorary Master
Is there any difference in accuracy between glock 19 and 26?

It depends on your hands, in my opinion. I can handle the control and recoil on the 19 more than the 26, and to me it's primarily because of the larger grip.

Are there any handgun models suitable for both concealed carry and casual sport shooting.

Depends on how casual.

_kabal_

Expert Member
Are there any handgun models suitable for both concealed carry and casual sport shooting. It seems to me that in sport shooting the larger models are more popular. Would something like a G19 or CZ P10 be potentially an option for both?
My friend bought a g19 for this purpose, seems happy with the choice.

I opted for a g17 specifically for casual sport shooting though. Would definitely not want to EDC it, but am able to appendix carry it OK when needed

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
My friend bought a g19 for this purpose, seems happy with the choice.

I opted for a g17 specifically for casual sport shooting though. Would definitely not want to EDC it, but am able to appendix carry it OK when needed
Can you comment on the advantage of the larger frames in sport shooting? I'm not too clued up on the requirements at this point.

_kabal_

Expert Member
Can you comment on the advantage of the larger frames in sport shooting? I'm not too clued up on the requirements at this point.
I think at our level there is not much in it (I.e we are not very good :ROFL: )

that being said, I do prefer shooting the g17, but that is based on the grip length and not the barrel length.
would be really keen to try a g19x

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Is there any difference in accuracy between glock 19 and 26?
Inherent accuracy? No. Both are more accurate than you are. The G19 will shoot easier, as it is easier to aim with a longer barrel. Being heavier, felt recoil will also be less.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I have been using the G19 for almost 5 years for this purpose. It works well.
But what you compete with depends on which sport and which category. The different categories will dictate firearm size limitations, how heavy you can modify it, etc.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
As mentioned, the size is dictated by the sport and the category. But it is easier to aim using a firearm with a longer barrel, and a larger firearm will absorb some recoil, meaning felt recoil is less.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
After a bit of thought, while I do like this option, it struck me that you may as well go for a 19, because it's essentially the same thing with a slightly longer barrel, and that increase in barrel length doesn't really affect ease of carry.

First shoot a sub-compact (Glock 26) gun to see if you can shoot it well, then try a compact (Glock 19) and see how much better it shoots.

You need to be able to shoot accurately if your gun is to be effective when you need it. No point in having a gun you don't like and so don't carry all that often even if it is the most concealable. A Glock 19 is not hard to conceal and can be used for purposes other than self defence.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Glock 19 Gen 5 or CZ P10C, that's it.
These would be the primary contenders for me if I decide to take the plunge.

For the average Joe there's almost no reason to go with something other than a Glock. The CZ's I think used to be a bit cheaper a few years ago but they seem to be similarly priced these days so I guess it comes down to personal preference.