Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
I find it weird that takealot isnt higher on the list. Kalahari never has anything that I am looking for.

mayurh

Expert Member
i dont understand how so many ppl shop with amazon when half the things online cant be shipped to sa????? or am i doing something wrong?>

Totempole

Expert Member
i dont understand how so many ppl shop with amazon when half the things online cant be shipped to sa????? or am i doing something wrong?>

Not sure if they necessarily physically shop on Amazon, or simply just "window shop" like me.

I'm quite surprised Loot isn't on that list. Not only are there prices quite good, but they offer free postage on even the smallest of items all year round.

Vlad

don't confuse site visits with actual sales. I bet amazon actually sells a lot more than kalahari does, especially if you include the kindle book sales.

and maybe amazon doesn't ship all items to SA, but it still ships probably more than kalahari has in stock, or, as in my office, people have it delivered overseas and brought back by visiting friends or family...

Allin

Expert Member
I checked my Paypal and credit card accounts for the 2013/14 year for online purchases from the sites in the article
eBay: 21
Amazon: 8
Kalahari: 1

My browser history though will show hundreds of visits to Kalahari and Incredible Connection.

Twista

I'm quite surprised Loot isn't on that list. Not only are there prices quite good, but they offer free postage on even the smallest of items all year round.

Must be only sites that are subscribers of "Effective Measures"

kolakidd

Note the table says by visits, not shoppers. So it's actually not sales volume from South Africa, it is simply visits.

Must be only sites that are subscribers of "Effective Measures"

This is panel data so it's gleaned from a specific set of web users and not only websites that carry the Effective Measure tags.

KOPITE

Executive Member

maybe because most of the people use Postbox-courier and Myus to ship it. ;)

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Can one buy anything other than books from Amazon.com from SA? Whatever I've tried failed because it's not shipped to SA.

diabolus

Executive Member
I visit Amazon a zillion times, i always use it to read reviews and get ratings. I also use it to search for products and see related products with possible better reviews. Yet i never buy anything on Amazon (other than ebooks sometimes) . So that alone tells me, site visits means nothing. I also remember using Incredible connection's site to browse laptops, as they have a good collection online , then it gives an indication what to look for in other stores :).

I usually actually buy from TakeAlot, but the site itself is not great for searching and researching, so my actual visits there is nill. I guess my modus operandi is to "window shop" on Amazon, read reviews and then go find it on TakeAlot and buy it there. If Amazon was more SA friendly i would buy there, but alas, importing, taxes and shipping is just too much of a hassle on Amazon (alot of products they don't even ship anyway).

MsParanoid

So I started wondering: how to buy clothing and accessories from Amazon. That second graph supposedly indicates purchases, not visits, and I've never had any luck finding anything other than the usual dvds/books/blah I could put in my cart for delivery to SA.

Interestingly, the graph don't specify amazon.com or amazon.co.uk and therein lies the challenge because they're not the same.

amazon.co.uk: I couldn't find anywhere any evidence that they deliver "clothing and accessories" to SA. I fired up a chat session with a Customer Service drone who admitted that there is no way currently to see whether an item will be shipped to SA or not, other than to add the item to the cart and start the checkout process including selecting a shipping address in SA. After continuing the system may alert you that the item you've chosen can't be shipped to SA and you then have to delete the item and try again. Meh, I said. Oh, he/she said, there is something else you could try... there is an add-on for Firefox: "Does Amazon Ship to ..?" which adds a button on the item's page which you can click to do a check. I installed it and it works fairly well. At worst it's way better than doing the whole check-out thing every time.

amazon.com: They have an helpful topic titled Search for Items Eligible for International Shipping here. Note: the "International Shipping" search filter isn't available on the normal Amazon.com home landing page - you'll get it only if you first visit the Amazon Global page as specified on the help page.

Happy shopping.

sashipper

Amazon Shipping

maybe because most of the people use Postbox-courier and Myus to ship it. ;)

We are considering a complete solution to get Amazon goods to SA. The shopper will provide our consolidation warehouse address in the USA when buying the goods. We will then accept, ship to SA and clear customs. The shipping rates will be much less than consolidators like MYUS.com. I am keen to get feedback if this would be a worthwhile exercise.

crackersa

Honorary Master
We are considering a complete solution to get Amazon goods to SA. The shopper will provide our consolidation warehouse address in the USA when buying the goods. We will then accept, ship to SA and clear customs. The shipping rates will be much less than consolidators like MYUS.com. I am keen to get feedback if this would be a worthwhile exercise.

Will you ship items individually or wait till you can build up a container?

How will import taxes be handled? I.e customer responsible or included in the overall price?

sashipper

We will ship individually. Airfreight will leave every 10 days, so goods will get to SA within 2 weeks. We will pay the legislated import taxes and recover on delivery. At this stage all good ideas to be considered, but clearly there is a need to provide this kind of service for South Africans.

MsParanoid

How will you handle delivery in SA? More specifically to outlying areas.

Last edited:

sashipper

I think we will need to stay away from the SA Postal Service. My thoughts are a "last mile" courier service, and a collection office in the major centers.