South Africa's municipalities charge you if you call the fire department

Mila

Honorary Master
Yup it goes onto your muni bill... now I wonder if letting the house burn down isn’t just better? Dealing with water damage..
And who do the charge in Alex when a gas bottle pop and burns down 50 houses... you again.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
"...may charge..." is more accurate. Headline a little clickbaity. It looks like it may be standard across the world.

genetic

Honorary Master
The happiness of the ANC members and voters, to see their leaders looting all the tax money.
Because ANC voters voted for the DA in Cape Town?

Fire services have always charged. Even back under the NP government days.

Most fire services around the world charge for their services too. It's the world-wide standard.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I honestly see no problem with this if it's for a false callout... But if my house is burning down or something and I call them out I'd be pissed at being charged for that... Even with insurance.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
This is nothing new. Makes having insurance a no brainer.
The possibility of losing all your worldly possessions as well as your home might be a better reason. Millions vs a couple hundred rand...

OCP

Expert Member
They only charge if you waste their time (ie. no emergency or cat stuck in tree/etc)
If there is an actual fire or car accident where they are needed to extract people there is no charge.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I honestly see no problem with this if it's for a false callout... But if my house is burning down or something and I call them out I'd be pissed at being charged for that... Even with insurance.
They probably charge commercial properties where there are special materials handling requirements. I'm yet to hear of civilians being charged, even though the law exists.

I don't know