South Africa's new Lanseria mega smart city plan - Pictures

Arzy

Honorary Master
Waterfall city has been quite successful, is it not though? In conversations, I always drop in a line that 'I live near waterfall city' to give vague impression about my finances. Near is relative and no one really asks. :p
I'd say it's been rather successful, just won best mixed use development for the 4th year running at the international property awards.

Pity that doesn't fall within our governments reference framework.

CeeBee

Expert Member
riiight… I work in Lanseria, I don't see any action or preparations for a new city of any size.
well, there are lamp poles/overhead cabling poles erected on the R512, but they seem to be cut down and 'redistributed' faster than the provider can repair.
perhaps we'll see some more action towards the latter part of the 25 year plan
seems a long period for a building project these days?

rietrot

Honorary Master
The thing that communist don't understand it seems is that cities developed naturally around some natural resource most often water source or trade route and then grow as people move there for work and money.

Planning a new city is a bit silly. Especially with our expensive transport.

A lot more can be achieved by cleaning up the cities we already have and protecting property rights so that development can take place.

surface

Honorary Master
I'd say it's been rather successful, just won best mixed use development for the 4th year running at the international property awards.

Pity that doesn't fall within our governments reference framework.
Yes, in that sense, sandton has always been the best mixed use development with alex and sandton city nestling side by side. Viva ANC Viva.

surface

Honorary Master
riiight… I work in Lanseria, I don't see any action or preparations for a new city of any size.
well, there are lamp poles/overhead cabling poles erected on the R512, but they seem to be cut down and 'redistributed' faster than the provider can repair.
I always drop in mail to government whenever I see such delays in constructions. I cc murray & roberts, attacq etc as well. I have been around on mybb & I know a thing or two about construction. I always feel better after my email contributions. You might try this as well.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Behind the scenes work maybe?

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
The thing that communist don't understand it seems is that cities developed naturally around some natural resource most often water source or trade route and then grow as people move there for work and money.

Planning a new city is a bit silly. Especially with our expensive transport.

A lot more can be achieved by cleaning up the cities we already have and protecting property rights so that development can take place.
But you can syphon of a LOT more money on new projects.. then old ones.

eg2505

Honorary Master
sounds like another worthless idea the ANC cooked up,
like so many other ideas their incompetence breeds.

still remember the Modderfontein "new Hong Kong"

entrepr

Expert Member
My guess is this is insider trading. ANC top brass has been aware of this for years and have privately invested in the land, development companies and service companies. Then they will prioritise state funds and planning approvals to make this happen and indirectly score.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
My guess is this is insider trading. ANC top brass has been aware of this for years and have privately invested in the land, development companies and service companies. Then they will prioritise state funds and planning approvals to make this happen and indirectly score.

Of course. That is why so many Cadres spouses are business people.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Let them eat cake. Plenty of pie in the sky.

If the Chinese couldn't pull this off in Modderfontein with Zendai, this thing is a complete myth. That project was labelled as an 84 billion Rand one in 2014.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Let them eat cake. Plenty of pie in the sky.

If the Chinese couldn't pull this off in Modderfontein with Zendai, this thing is a complete myth. That project was labelled as an 84 billion Rand one in 2014.
Zendai ran out of money and sold the project. There were other issues as well.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
They've had to resort back to four-way stops at intersections on the R512 because the traffic lights just keep getting stolen.

So on your way to this 21st century technological marvel you will be greeted with...

View attachment 1020534 View attachment 1020538 View attachment 1020544

Obviously once you're there though, it'll be like Wakanda for real.

Good luck with that. :thumbsup:
They started with huge road-infrastructure upgrades between Cosmo City and the airport. Eventually the traffic lights stopped working and then the traffic lights were stolen completely, replaced with the stop-signs.

The upgraded road is now slowly falling into disrepair due to lack of upkeep. So much for this ANC promise, off course only ending up with the enrichment of cadres and not much else.