Soweto residents say looting will continue until govt deals with 'issues'

Grant

Honorary Master
Aggrieved community members of White City, Soweto, on Thursday said the looting of foreign nationals shops would not end until the government dealt with their gripes that include the recent foreign nationals' attack on SA police, joblessness and ensuring shop owners bank their money and pay tax.

The shops were looted overnight in different parts of Soweto including Moroka, Dlamini, Protea Glen, Dobsonville, Rockville and Zola. Looters broke down doors, windows and emptied shelves.

White City resident Thabo Khumalo recounted how the looting started.
"We were sitting here at corner. Then yesterday [Wednesday], at around 5pm a huge crowd came and broke into the store," said Khumalo.
"We were obviously shocked so we moved away. The reason they did this was because last week, foreign nationals attacked police in town so they were retaliating."

Another resident, who only identified himself as "Nathi", said he felt the looting was unfortunate, but necessary.
"These people get paid cash. They do not bank so they don't pay pay taxes on their monies. We don't have jobs and yet the government is allowing them to be here," complained Nathi.
"They are more favoured than the actual citizens of the country."
He also alleged that the cost of airtime was higher at foreign-owned shops.
"The airtime is higher than the actual amount and chances are, the service providers don't even know."

Gauteng Economic Development, Agriculture and Environment MEC Kgosientsho Ramokgopa visited affected areas where he engaged with community members.
"We need an enduring solution because It's a manifestation of unemployment, lack of opportunities, that is the situation we want to address. We need to revitalise the economy of townships, create stability and address acts of illegality," said Ramokgopa.

Police spokesperson Kay Makhubele said so far seven people were arrested in Jabulani in connection with the looting. He also called for calm.

"The community must report everything to the relevant authorities. We're here to engage with them and make sure to solve their problems," said Makhubele.

However, an Ethiopian shop owner who identified himself as Mesfin said if he had money, he would leave South Africa immediately.
"This is the third time this happens and frankly I feel like I am done with South Africa. All we are trying to do is make an honest living but people keep stealing from us and we are tired of it," lamented Mesfin.
https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/soweto-residents-say-looting-will-continue-until-govt-deals-with-issues-30818386

Flanders

Honorary Master
The looks on their faces...like they just won the lotto. Tomorrow? Eish, I'm paining too mush.

Excalibur

Expert Member
"The airtime is higher than the actual amount and chances are, the service providers don't even know."

Knyro

Honorary Master
Whats your point? It's well known that many people that sell airtime in the townships will sell you R29 airtime for R32 and so on.

Damn rip-off artists.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Whats your point? It's well known that many people that sell airtime in the townships will sell you R29 airtime for R32 and so on.

Damn rip-off artists.
Are the banks rip off atirsts for charging you a service fee when you buy airtime? What about Checkers when you buy electricity or the e Post Office when you renew your car's licence?

I don't like service fees, but they're perfectly legal. It's no excuse for looting.

Lupus

Honorary Master
"However, an Ethiopian shop owner who identified himself as Mesfin said if he had money, he would leave South Africa immediately.
"This is the third time this happens and frankly I feel like I am done with South Africa. All we are trying to do is make an honest living but people keep stealing from us and we are tired of it," lamented Mesfin."

Yeah a lot of us feel this way, it's not only the foreigners, thanks to the ANC's lack of policing the country is run by hooligans.

Mila

Honorary Master
Deport them.

Or fence it of and start the hunger games.

Nobody cares anymore. Just kill each other get it over with. Less tax money to be wasted on government grants.

Nick333

Honorary Master

Damn rip-off artists.
Ja, because the rebate they get for selling airtime is tiny. God forbid anyone should charge for providing a service right?

Tman*

Expert Member
Talk about taking a dump in your own back yard, lol.

Can someone else tell me why the shops are foreign owned and not local? What skills do these foreigners possess to operate the shops that locals don't have?